This is the story of my epic, four month, 4100 mile, bicycle trip during the summer of 1999. It is mostly excerpted from my journals, with occasional additions and editing from my vast memory banks. Unfortunately I didn't keep a journal during the days and weeks preceding the trip, and at this point, over a year later, I don't remember what I was feeling. On the other hand, I would probably end up boring you with the little details of last minute panic and chaos. Enjoy. April 27th, 1999 AD. Start bike trip to the West Coast. April 28th Menomonie, WI, at the Erdman's house. Yesterday I left home. The Numbers: (I recorded this information every day. I won't give it to you all the time but I'll stick it in here as an example, and occasionally throughout I may put in parts of it.) Tot: 3:55 (Total riding time, hours and minutes, for entire trip) Dst: 40 (Total distance, in miles, for entire trip) Trp: 40.43 (Distance, in miles, covered today) Avg: 10.30 (Average speed, in mph, for today) Stp: 3:55:27 (Stopwatch. Riding time, hr:mn:sec, for today. Note that if my wheel wasn't moving, my computer assumed I was stopped. Therefore, small delays (e.g. waiting at stoplights, breathers at the top of the hill) do not figure in the total but can add up considerably. Generally I spent at least two hours more than this between leaving one campsite and arriving at the next, with lunch and rest stops added in.) Max: 28.9 (Top speed in mph, for today) I left home about 9:30 AM, 2 1/2 hours behind schedule, on a bike weighing 122 lbs. I arrived In Menomonie, at the Leisure center where Mom and Christopher were for the home school group classes, at about 1:15. After I pulled out a few things to send home, I rode over to the Erdman's and ditched the rest while I went to run a few last minute errands. I'm not even on the Adventure Cycling route yet, and I'm already meeting other cyclists who know what I'm talking about! Yesterday in Riverside Bike and Skate someone saw my load and asked the already annoying question "where you headed?" Turns out he's ridden the Northern Tier form Glacier National Park west. Adventure Cycling, formerly known as Bikecentenial, is a Missoula, MT -based organization whose mission is to promote bicycle touring. To that end they have close to a dozen routes mapped for touring cyclists, crossing the country in several directions and places. I followed the western half of their Northern Tier route, which runs from Anacortes, WA to Bar Harbor, ME.) Ryland and I spent several hours last night looking at maps and USGS photos on the web. I think I found West Glacier and Going to the Sun Highway, which I was hoping to ride over. Quote of the day: " Oh my God. I didn't even see you coming." - Dave Klein, on being surprised by me as he crossed the road to his mail box. Question of the Day: Is battling an east wind the first day a good or a bad omen for a cyclist who's overall plan is to head west? April 28th At the Lofgren's house, near Clayton, WI. I spent most of the morning repacking and left a couple more pounds of stuff to be sent home. I left Erdman's about 11, and made it less than half a mile before turning around because my steering was shimmying all over the place. It turned out that my front hub bearings where loose, so we adjusted them and it rode better for the rest of the day. Bad omen of the day?- two days out and I've already encountered a detour. Oh well. The detour was nice too. I stopped for lunch in Boyceville... Must remember that instant Tabouli is NOT 5 minute instant ( It takes closer to half an hour. That was also the first and last time on the trip I ate it. The remainder traveled all the way with me.) On the bright side, I got here without directions! (I'd never been there before. I just looked at a map and knew the address) Quote: " At least you've got a good motor on that bike." - An older man walking down the street in Connorsville Question: What is causing my bike to shimmy? (The answer apparently was inexperience handling a loaded bike, and a poorly balanced load.) April 29th Wild River State Park, Taylors Falls, MN The Numbers: Tot: 12:20 Dst: 134 Trp: 56.76 Avg: 11.18 Stp: 5:04:35 Max: 35.8 I encountered my first cow in the road, second detour, and first irresistible urge to splurge- Ice cream in Taylors Falls. I saw another cyclist today. Not a distance tourer, but she(?) rode several miles out of Amery and turned in at a driveway. She also stayed about the same distance ahead of me all the time. I was hoping she would at least stop and say hi when she left the road. but she didn't. When I got slightly lost on the detour I stopped an asked an older man out tilling his garden for directions. He told me about his son who had ridden his bike from Montana back to Wisconsin, or should I say Minnesota since he quit in Montevideo when his spokes were loose and he'd lost his spoke wrench. April 30th Northwind Nursery, Cambridge, MN Today I discovered the only fun part of a flat tire. It's only going to work in town though. But let's tell the whole story. I went to the post office to buy stamps, and pulled my bike up on some sharp granite landscaping rock next to the wall. Mistake. When I came out the rear tire was flat and the front one was low. The only good part is that people stop to talk... I also discovered that my front wheel bearings where loose again, so I had to tighten them up. All in all not a good day for wheels... I'm staying with friends of my parents who run a small fruit nursery. Dave, the apprentice here, is planning to ride a ways with me tomorrow. Possibly all the way... Quote: "You've got as much stuff on there as I carry in my big truck." - Man entering the post office as I fixed my flat tire. Question: How can I have been on the road for four days and not be sunburned? May 1st Chuck Schwab's, Royalton, MN I left Northwind Nurseries about 9:30 with Dave. We rode about 17 miles before he had a flat and decided to turn around because the chances of another one were pretty good. I joined the Northern Tier in Dalbo, MN. Once Dave left I had a fairly uneventful day until Chuck met me a few miles from here. Good thing he did since the wind had blown away my directions and I couldn't remember the road numbers. This evening I hiked across the swamp to a little duck pond. While not an impressive pond it was a nice peaceful place to sit and listen to wildlife. I heard geese, cranes, woodcocks, frogs, etc. The geese were in the field next to the pond and let me walk less than a hundred feet from them without flying away... Quote " You're the first biker we've seen through this year."- Clerk, Ramy Store and Bar. May 2nd Tim and Jan King's, Clotho MN I rode into Little Falls, about four miles off route, in the hopes that the bike shop would be open (on a Sunday). No such luck. I spent an hour or so eating lunch and visiting the zoo. It's a small zoo with only eight or ten different kinds of animals, and at the moment most are in small cages. They are trying to raise money to improve that though. Buddy the Black Bear is the star attraction. He was taking a shower while I was there. There was a sprinkler on the roof of his cage that sprayed water down, and he seemed to enjoy sitting under it. As I rode back to the main route I discovered that I shouldn't have left it in the first place because I was battling a head wind for two or three miles to get back where I wanted to be. Made it feel like ten... Quote: " Does that bike have asthma or what?"- John King, Tim's brother, quoting someone in a race he was once in on a clunky ten speed. Question: Why do people around here call them tar roads? They are exactly the same as what we call blacktop or asphalt at home. May 3rd Dittberner's home, Parkers Prairie, MN The Numbers: Trp: 30:29 Dst: 343 I should have learned my lesson yesterday about wind and going off route... I got here about 11 AM. After Lunch Selena and I hiked out to the lake about a mile away at the back of the farm. I think it was even windier than this morning!.. Question: I wonder why I always seem to ride faster on wet roads? Quote: " You keeping out of trouble?" - A (possibly) mentally challenged young man outside the drug store in Parkers Prairie. May 4th Dittberner's Rest Day. Forest and I spent the afternoon tagging trees and loading Birch trees on a flatbed trailer. We're talking 12 or 15 foot tall trees here. (The Dittberners run a wholesale landscape nursery.) I'm still kind of not really believing that I'm doing this trip. I've never done anything exactly like this, so I have no experience to draw on as to what to expect, or even to know that I can do it. I'm really enjoying being around people again. I think that this will be the hardest departure of the whole trip, since it will be a month before I see any one I know again... May 7th Dittberner's I'm still here, on Friday, and I'll probably stay till tomorrow, since the sky looks wet and I bruised my hip yesterday. Yesterday I helped out over at the tree farm again... we went out about six PM to dig trees. I bruised my hip trying to jump onto the trailer while it was moving. I learned my lesson... After we got done digging and loading trees in the field we had to move them to the semi flatbed. In the dark. I felt on slightly more familiar ground once we had them loaded and a tarp over the load, when I was balancing on the edge trying to tie a rope onto the tarp, in the dark and rain. Just like old times on the LoTec crew. Anyway, it was 11:00 by the time we got back for supper. May 7th Dittberner's Quote: It's for your protection."- The bank teller explaining why I needed to put my thumb print on my check before she would cash it. May 8th Jan and Everett Gilbertson's, Battle Lake, MN ...The leave taking at Dittberner's wasn't as bad as it could have been. I was kind of torn apart for a few miles though... When the noon siren rang just as I entered Parkers Prairie, I somehow felt that there was some symbolic meaning there. Still don't know what, though. This afternoon I hiked up Inspiration Peak, third highest point in Minnesota. The view helped me take my mind off my loneliness, after I looked back the way I came at the Parkers Prairie water tower and Urbank, and the distance beyond, and then off to the west and north where I'll be riding in the days to come. Now I'm kicking myself because I carried my camera all the way up and didn't take any pictures. May 9th Grace Kuball's home, Hawley, MN It was 32 degrees when I got up this morning and remained cool all day. ...Much of the day was spent in lake country going up and down hills. Also watching the sky to see what the storm clouds were doing. I managed to sit out the first round of rain while I ate lunch in Pelican Rapids, but it rained and hailed on me for a few minutes south of Cormorant. I lucked out and made it here about an hour before the real storm hit. (Lights just blinked)... I was chased by the most annoying dog yet today. He lives right at the point where I was supposed to stop and turn my map over, which made it seem worse. He was a very friendly, playful Yellow Lab who thought I should stop and play... Of course I was battling a side wind and only managing about eight MPH, so he was actually getting ahead of me, and stopping and waiting for me. I never got close enough to squirt him with my water bottle (one of my usual techniques, if telling them to go home and calling them bad dog doesn't work), so I finally resorted to the get off the bike and stare technique, which worked this time... I can see he might be a problem to other cyclists, but I don't know what I can do about it. Question: What am I doing in a trailer park, when there are severe thunderstorm warnings out? May 10th Zenas and Julia Baer's , Moorhead, MN The Numbers: Trp: 24.87 Avg: 14.42 Stp: 1:43:29 Max: 25.5 FAST DAY. I left Hawley about 9 am and arrived in Moorhead about 11. I had a fast tail wind, which pushed me into Moorhead, about 20 miles at an average speed of 17 MPH! ( I then rode around in town quite a bit, which dropped my average to the numbers shown above) I went to the Heritage Hjemkomst Center first and spent 2 1/2 hours looking at the Hjemkomst, a replica Viking ship built in Hawley and sailed from Duluth to Norway, the Stav Kirk, a replica of a church in Hopperstad, Norway, which is under construction, and other related exhibits. The church impressed me more than the ship, partly because it's still a work in progress, and partly because of all the fine detail work... Zenas and Julia have three boys, ages six, seven, and nine, who I baby-sat for a couple hours this evening, while the parents took Anna, the German foreign exchange student living with them, to a school awards banquet... Anna, Zenas and I stayed up quite late discussing European geography, and world politics. Then Zenas went to bed and Anna and I stayed up for another hour talking. I'm not sure why, but I think that our conversation was the best I've had on this trip... we didn't talk about much other than my trip, and life in general. ( Um.. I guess that covers a lot of ground.) I guess she has a desire to know what other people think about things like Kosovo, and war in general, and what my fears and hopes are... Quote: "Dark."- Zenas, on what the Chunnel was like. Boy did we think that was funny. Question: Could I continue to work on a dream I knew I might not live to see completed? (The man who's dream the Hjemkomst was, died before it left Lake Superior.) May 11th Hope, ND The Numbers: Tot: 50:28 Dst: 561 Trp: 75.03 Avs: 9.7 Stp: 7:44:05 Max: 20.2 I entered North Dakota today- twice. The ACA route goes into Fargo, turns north, crosses back into Minnesota for a mile or less, and then reenters ND. I now know what true boredom means. The area I rode through today was flat as a pancake, and very empty. I kept the part of my brain that watches for cars and potholes sort of busy, although it managed to wander off to the wrong area a few times, and the part of my mind that marvels at how much water was running down the road ditch quickly bored of that, leaving me with very few options of how to keep my mind occupied. The alphabet game doesn't work very well when there are hardly any road signs, and very little litter on the roadside, and very little traffic either. Trying to guess how far away objects on the horizon are also has a limited useful life expectancy. We really have had a lot of rain in this area in recent days. In many places the road ditches were a river on either side of the road, and on some of the few "hills" there were actual waterfalls where the water had cut itself a deeper channel in one place than in another. I must be the bike riding Dakota rain curse. (When I rode across SD in '95 they were in a wet spell.) I stopped in Page for supper. I was planning to camp there, but the vibes were a bit weird, so I rode another 14 miles to Hope. I don't know if I'll get much sleep since the parking lot seems to be the do donuts and burn rubber end of the cruise here, but I've found a nice tent spot next to the swimming pool, under the trees, and sort of hidden, so we'll see how it works out. Quote: "She gets a little tippy when I start doing that shit." - Voice outside my tent after several minutes of spraying gravel and squealing tires. May 13th Cooperstown, ND I spent the night in a motel, and stayed glued to the tube way too late last night. When I woke up in Hope yesterday my knees were killing me, so I decided to just ride 30 miles to here, and get a motel room, to help out my knees. They don't like cold. When I did laundry I left my bag of paper, pens, addresses etc. behind. About 8:00 someone knocked on my door and handed it to me! It was just amazing that anyone would bother to find out where I was staying. What a great feeling to know that people are nice enough to do that. Quote: "Have you got rained on?"- Everybody. May 13th Devils Lake, ND The Numbers: Tot: 60:15 Trp: 89.24 (Longest day of the trip.) I take back every thing I said (or thought) about ND in the last couple days. The area I rode through today has to be some of the most beautiful I've seen yet. For the first part of the day, every time I crested a hill (yes, they help liven things up) and looked off into the distance, I'd see more hills, the sort that make me think "There should be huge herds of buffalo out there, and Indian scouts standing on the ridge, or Cavalry, or something". The sort of hills that make me think of Dances With Wolves. Then once I entered the Spirit Lake Nation (reservation) the landscape changed again. Now it is much flatter, although there is some elevation change, and there has been so much rain lately, that, in many places, the roads are running through the middle of the lake- literally. I guess the people who designed them knew that the lake occasionally overflows, and built the roads high enough to stay above water- barely. I hope it doesn't rain too much tonight or I'll be trapped here! I guess I can always take US 2, but it won't be much fun. I decided to get a motel room again, 'cause it looks like rain and I have a feeling all the campsites around are under water! The guy at the front desk says the lake is twice it's normal size! I think that it might actually be higher than the city, 'cause I saw a big levee, and then came down a hill into town. (I later found out that this is a problem that has been going on for several years, as ND goes through a wet cycle, and the lake is three times its usual size. It's an enclosed system- no outlet other than evaporation. My guess is that they have been going around making the roads higher, rather than the advance planning I thought at the time, since there was a lot of road construction going on. Apparently the Corps Of Engineers wants to build a short canal to drain it into the Red River, which the Canadians are not too happy about.) I saw the first pelican of my trip today...also a bird with a long tail, which looked like it belonged near the ocean- not in the center of the continent. The other neat thing about the lake was the foam blowing across the road. I stopped in Binford for lunch, and as I was starting out of town again someone told me that the Cafe keeps a notebook for cyclists to write in, so I stopped down there and had a cup of hot chocolate, and signed the book, and read through the last few folks through last fall. I'm glad I did, as it reminded me that I'm not the first to experience these trials, and I won't be the last either. Quote: "Stayed in Devils Lake last night, Hoping to get to Fargo tonight "- from the Binford Cafe's Cyclists Log.- Were those guys nuts or what? (it's almost 200 miles!) Question: Why are ducks more scared of me than of cars? I keep scaring ducks in the flooded road ditches , and they do this really stupid fly a couple hundred yards, land, and repeat thing. No Brains? May 14th Rugby, ND- Geographical center of North America. After five hours in the rain, I decided to go the motel route again. I'm sure the cleaning staff will LOVE me- the bottom layer of all my bags was soaked, and I had to spread all my stuff out to dry. When I checked in I realized how cold I actually was. I could barely write my name... The only food that was damaged were a few noodles at the bottom of the bag. I'll try to stop and cook them tomorrow for lunch. I rode highway 19 west out of Devils Lake, instead of backtracking 10 miles to follow the detour. I still got to ride through the middle of the lake. I finally figured out what it reminds me of- Lake Superior. So much water, and when I saw the waves today it hit me. I also saw several new water birds I'll have to try to look up somewhere. One of them should be easy- a duck type bird with a bright blue beak. Quote: "Having any trouble finding water out there?"- Beer delivery man in grocery store at Minnewauken, west end of Devils Lake. Question: Why is it that I actually sort of enjoy riding in the rain?.. May 15th Granville, ND The numbers: Max: 15.1 (outrunning dog) Not everything was dry yet when I left the motel this morning, but checkout time was approaching, so I packed up anyway. I did manage to get my shoes dry though. Hooray! I was hoping to get to Minot today, but there was a headwind and it took me plenty long to get here. I probably could have made it, but not by 5:30 when the natural food store closes, so I would have had to wait all day tomorrow. I suppose a rest day wouldn't hurt, but I get bored pretty quick when I'm not riding. I'm sort of glad of the headwind, 'cause now that it's flat and boring again, I get bored easier, and with the headwind I have to pay attention to my riding more or I coast to a stop because I'm not pedaling hard enough. BUT I still hope the wind shifts again soon. Of courseŠThe day after I talk to Granddad on the phone and give the all's well report, I start to have problems. The wind is one. My bike is also not acting right. It sounds as though I might have a tight link in my chain, or problems with my bottom bracket. I hope it's the former so I don't have to pay someone to fix it. I was not happy to discover that I had my camera set for 400 speed film for the entire (I think) first roll of film, which was 200 speed. I hope I can find a good photo lab that might be able to compensate. Quote: "You've got a long way to go, mister." - Kid in the park in Towner, when I told him where I was going. I haven't stooped to dumpster diving yet, but I've started picking up things from the side of the road. I found a ratcheting box wrench, and couldn't resist. It probably won't fit any bolts on my bike, but it's a useful tool. I'm starting to wonder why I didn't pick up the pliers I ran over a few days ago, or the chain hooks I saw today. Ok, the hooks would serve me no use, and add extra weight, but you never know when I might want extra pliers. Question: Why is it that the dogs who are hardest to get rid of always chase me when I'm battling a head wind? May 17th Minot, ND Another west wind day. I made it to Minot, though, but I couldn't find the campground I was looking for, and the others are all miles away. Not a problem if I was just heading through, but I need to run errands downtown on a weekday, so I got a motel room again. Hating myself for it now, but the financial damage is done. I'll survive somehow. Between Surry and Minot, the scenery became a little more interesting, because I was riding next to the railyards and some other city's edge sort of huge wastelands. Quote: "Are you like a traveler or somthin'?"- Kid outside gas station, Minot. May 17th Makoti, ND I left the motel around nine o'clock this morn, and spent about three hours running errands in Minot. The guy at the bike shop agreed that my bike problem must be a tight link. The photos came out fine, although the photographer's merits are lacking when combined with the (cheap) camera. Today was my first eat in the road ditch day. There are truly NO services between Minot and Makoti. Not even a picnic table. The landscape is getting hillier again... For the most part I'm climbing more than I come down.- I guess that's what I'm supposed to be doing from here to Glacier. I'm kind of annoyed because I bought a paper, and then walked out without it. I wanted to read about Devils Lake, which was one of the cover stories. As I was finishing supper two little six year-olds came over to talk. They asked a lot of questions, but not the usual ones, so I was quite happy to talk to them. They are twins, one boy, one girl. and make quite a chatterbox. Question: If I went home now, how would I be different from the person who left home three weeks ago? May 18th New Town, ND The wind was from the south, so it wasn't in my face, but it was trying to blow me off the road. On the bad side, I hit another pothole and destroyed my new tire- boy, I can't wait to see Ryland's face when I roll into Eugene with the same rear tire, and my fourth or fifth front one. (The rear tire was on the bike when I bought it from him last winter.) On the bright side, James, a kid hanging around in the park listed on my maps, suggested that this park by the high school might be better. He said that people hang out and play basketball all night at the first place. The police OK'd that so I maybe have more traffic, but less yelling, basketball, etc. There are a lot of kids hanging around here too, but it seems to be a younger crowd, and more of a walk by on the way from the Tastee Freeze to somewhere else kind of presence. I also had two good meals today, an improvement on the last couple. I ate out at breakfast, and cooked a big supper- I bought a bag of salad (too much, but I finished it anyway) and a small jar of spaghetti sauce. Wow am I full. I might have to go find a way to burn some of it off. I got my first views of Lake Sakakawea today. I don't know but I bet New Town got it's name when an older town was flooded by the damming of the Missouri and the people had to move to here. Very few of the buildings seem to be more than 50 years old, if that. Question: Why to the Native Americans seem to be more "big city" than the whites around, even though they live in a town smaller than 2,000 people? I mean besides the fact that they are a minority, and tend to maybe follow the black community's dress and music styles. (New Town is on a reservation.) Quote: "Everyone has known intimidation. One mosquito in a dark room."- Sign on the side of a building. May 19th North of Williston, ND The Numbers: Dst: 1015 (yeah!) Trp: 83.2 Stp: 8:48:39 (!) Max: 33.3 I got off to possibly my earliest start yet when I left New Town about 9:00. The day got off to a lousy start when I kept packing rather than going to the bathroom a block away, and got terrible cramps. Luckily they went away a few minutes after I peed. The first part of the day was great, with no wind (OK, very little) and nice warm sun. I had to shed my long sleeves and tights within 10 miles! By noon or so, however, the wind was back, and blowing from the west, right in my face. I rediscovered hills today. I'm riding near, but not next to the Missouri River, so it's like riding a couple miles inland form the Mississippi, parallel to it.I had one climb that was over three miles long! I think one of the reasons ND is such a hard place to ride, is that you feel like you're making no progress, except when going up and down hills. Down, obviously, cause you're really moving, and up, cause you can't see the distant horizon that becomes visible eight to ten miles away if it's high enough and seems not to move no matter how may smaller hills you go over. But, eventually you get there and discover another big downhill, with another climb at the far side. Lake Sakakawea is very beautiful, especially from the blufftops where I get most of my views... Quote: "Sing derailleur, sing derailleur, sing derailleur to the end of the road."- Me, to the tune of Give Me Oil In My Lamp. Question: How come I always think of lots of things to write in here while I'm riding, and then can't think of them when I'm writing? May 20th Williston, ND I spent the morning riding to town to get mail and groceries... I bought some French bread, a small bottle of Italian dressing, and lettuce and radishes, among other things. Boy, is real green salad Good. I know it was real lettuce, 'cause the inside was rotten! I still got enough for two meals though. I should have taken it back and complained, cause they charged me for it twice- Grr. Oh well, real salad was probably worth the price. (Come to think of it, I don't think the pepper was on the receipt.) I just talked to the guy who runs the camper repair place next door, who grew up in Rice Lake, WI. He says when he heads back east he always leaves at night, so when the sun is coming up there is something to see. Quote: "What, sex makes you deaf?"- Delivery person, in very soft voice, to Kum and Go clerk after she told him not to tell so many sex jokes next time. Question: When was the last time I had this many freckles? (That's right. My face looks really bad, between all the freckles, the scraggly beard, the sunburnt nose, and the Raycoon/ bike helmet tan lines.) May 21st, Culbertson, MT The Numbers: Tot: 99:46 Dst: 1078 Trp: 51.68 Avg: 12.47 Stp: 4:08:49 Max: 31.3 Whoopee for Tail Winds!!! I'm in Montana, Big Sky State! A great day that started on a sour note. I woke up to thunder and rain. I decided it was a good day to patronize a cafe. I chose one which seemed to be the hangout of the local Italians. The most amusing table was one with three guys, two in their 60's or 70's and one in his 40's or 50's, who appeared to still be a little drunk at ten in the morning, and who were arguing about people I believe are long dead. Famous Mobsters, etc. That was the start of the brightening of my day, which was fully realized when I realized I would have another tailwind, and the rain stopped before I left town, so I didn't have to ride in my rain gear. The lowest point of my riding day was the six miles of road construction just before the state line. The road bed was just packed oil and dirt. Luckily US highway 2 is a well traveled highway, so it was WELL packed. I did have my first drop the bike wipeout in that stretch though, when I got too close to the shoulder and it wasn't as packed as it looked. Luckily I got off the bike before it went over, so I just dropped the bike, not me. Then the state line came. Three-mile down hill was far from the truth, but it was several miles of more down than up. Then I got down to the bottom of the valley, and the road is now nearly flat! Feels like the Red River Valley, looks like... Montana! My first observation about Montana. They know how to build roads so they don't go over the top of every hill in their path. It's nice to have curves again. I have to admit that a tail wind always helps the impression that the road is flatter than it was yesterday. The final low of the day came when I pulled into the museum/ tourism info center here in Culbertson, and forgot the lesson I learned back in Minnesota about seats as handles. I pulled the seat the rest of the way apart. Luckily one of the volunteers came up with the solution. We used a big screwdriver to force the rails to bend back enough to go back in place. It should be good as new now! Quote: "Al Capone is like 120 and he's still alive. Did you know that?" - One of the drunk Italians in the cafe this morning to another one. Repeatedly. Question: Is "Girl Quest" a ride for girls, or a ride for guys in quest of girls? (There is a sticker on the picnic shelter here for Girl Quest '98, a cross country bicycle ride. Only the second or third sign that others actually use the route other than local talk that I've seen.) May 22 Wolf Point, MT God is playing with me. The Numbers: Tot: 107 hrs. Trp: 61.65 Avg: 8.53 Stp: 7:13:41 Wind! Wind! and more Wind!!! Does it ever cease? Of course it was a headwind. Would I be complaining if it wasn't? Actually, I think it was a side wind, but I still haven't exactly figured out what direction it's coming from. I couldn't even make it 15 miles without an energy bar this morning. Luckily I bettered that record later in the day. I'm on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Two things I've noticed. Number one: this is a country of "Light" addictions- Lite beer cans litter the road side, as well as Marlboro Light cigarette packages and Diet Pepsi cans. The beer of choice seems to be Bud, but there are also lots of shattered bottles that I can't always read the label on. Number two: Looking at my maps, it seems that out here all the paved roads that are governed by a lesser body than the state, are on reservations. Do they have more money, or just spend it to improve roads, rather than on something else? Other offbeat items in the road ditch today included a flat basketball, several cassette tapes, and a bicycle. I was going to go back and check out the last item, but there was a lot of traffic, and I didn't want to do a U turn right there, so I left it. Hopefully there wasn't someone laying there hurt or something. (It was on the far side of the road, so all I saw were a wheel and handlebar.) I guess the Rancho RV park here must not be very popular for some reason. It's cheaper than most of the others I've stayed at, but several campers have pulled in, and then left after looking at the prices. Good. I guess maybe I'll have the place to my self. Wolf Point appears to be a pretty booming place, for a town less than half again as big as Durand, WI [pop. 2,000], but this is Montana, and an Indian reservation. Lots of bars and casinos. The biggest adventure of the day was putting up my tent. I now know why they tell you to stake it down first. It tried to fold up on me. Then of course pitching the fly nearly gave Me a flying lesson. But it's up and secure now. The water in the showers smells really bad so I've decided to just live on the two bottles of water left from Culbertson. No cooking. I suppose I could boil the water from here, but I doubt that would help with the sulfur, or whatever is in the water here. That meant supper was kind of lame, and used up more Almond butter and Tahini, But I'm getting tired of noodles anyway and I don't know if I could have gotten my stove going in this wind anyway... It's days like today that make me wonder why I'm doing this. But even when that happens, sometimes, just when I'm the most down and ready to give up at the next sign of civilization, something around the next bend or over the next hill will remind me why I'm here. Whether it is the short stretch of badlands I rode through today, or the river winding along, or the store clerk who can't stop laughing over one halfway funny joke. However, I knew it was a really lousy day when the little kid on his bicycle asking all the usual stupid questions really got on my nerves. Normally I like talking to kids, even when grownups asking the same questions would annoy me. I guess in this case I just needed to find a place to eat lunch, and stop thinking about riding. The amount this kid seemed to know about his community was depressing though. I don't think he really understood where I'm going, and I'm not sure he'd ever been to Culbertson, 35 miles down the road, since he asked "Is that a long ways?" Of course maybe he was trying to ask "is that a long ways to go on a bike?" I got my first offer of a ride from a stranger today, when I was in the gas station buying post cards. He was going the wrong way though. Quotes: "You'd better take it. You might need it for a raincoat"- The halfway funny joke of the convenience store clerk when I said I didn't need a bag. "Lewis and Clark slept here. Why don't you?"- sign for Wolf Point. Question: Are the Indians on this reservation really so far behind educationally that they need an "Even Start " program, instead of "Head Start"? May 23 Glasgow, MT LOUSY DAY. Let's try to out bad this one. Four flats, and the worst headwind yet. Started with the expected flat upon arising, from a leaky tube. Easy enough- replace with new tube. Then less than two miles down the road- broken glass- didn't find the piece lodged in the tire, half a mile later- Hisss... An hour or so later the tire was low again- pump pump pump- Hisss! The rim had been wearing funny on the stem, and my pumping moved it back and fourth enough to cut it through. I ended up replacing it with the leaky but still holds air tube I took out in the morning, 'cuz my other one was also cut part way through. After 50 miles and four flats in a nasty head wind, I decided to get a motel for the night. The weather channel says east wind tomorrow. YEAH. I also went from 7:30 to 4:00 with very little to eat or drink, due to forgetting to go back into Wolf Point for supplies in the morning. FOOD HELPS. My speed picked up several MPH after I ate. I stopped at a little restaurant/ ice cream parlor place. While I was eating an older couple stopped and talked my ear off for a while. They told me about a 60ish guy who walked through several years ago- planned to walk from Wisconsin, to the west coast, to southern CA., to Texas, and back to Badgerland. They also said Logan Pass isn't open yet, but they usually try to have it open by Memorial Day. Only good thing about wind- blows off the sweat. Quote: "You be careful. This is Sunday and this is the Indian Highway. Sometimes guys go through here are really speeding."- One of the guys who stopped to see if I needed help. Question: Do I have enough tubes to get to Havre? May 24th Malta, MT The forcasted East wind never materialized today, but there was very little wind from any other direction, so I could keep up an 11 to 13 MPH speed over good distances. However it was 80 degrees or warmer, so by the end of the day I was beat anyway. Then just a mile or less out of town, I hit a rock and there goes my rear tire. I patched it up but once again; pump pump pump Hissss... Cut the stem again. I managed to stick a couple patches around it and limp into town, but that tube is pretty dead, I think . After supper I patched the last tube and replaced the tire. So much for Ryland's face. I probably could have gotten another 2 or 3 hundred out of it, but I think the new one will give more protection from sharp objects on the road, so I might be able to make it to Havre without another flat. I lost my rubber cement when I had the flat before town, so I bought a tube of Krazy glue, 'cuz that's what I could find at 8:30 at night. I put a patch on the stem where it is cut part way through, so hopefully it'll last a little longer. I also went to the gas station to fill the tire, so I didn't do the pump action thing. It took several tries before I found the actual leak, so the tire was on and off the rim several times over the evening, but it seems to hold. I put 90 PSI in, and the tires only rated for 70, so if it's still hard in the morning I hopefully won't have to take the train to Havre. I might try Krazy gluing a patch on the blown tube tomorrow, and see if it'll hold or not, so I have a spare to get me to Havre. I'll buy all new tubes there, and see if they have any advice on how to prevent this problem in the future. (Don't lay the tire flat and use the pump vertically? I stopped in Saco for a drink and sat under a classic western grocery store front porch. Nice and wide and shady. It was a refreshing change from the road. Both Saco and Hinsdale, the towns I rode through between Glasgow and here are pretty basic dusty one horse towns in the middle of Montana. Time for a list of all the questions I'm getting tired of. "Where you going?" "Where you from?" "Which direction you headed?" "Is that fun?" "How long will it take?" etc. etc. etc. The other thing I've heard a few more times than I'd like is "You're going the wrong way". Still no other cyclists, but it sure feels like there ought to be a few other early birds pretty soon. Which direction though? I guess the only ones I might see would be ones who started east of Glacier and are heading east, since Logan ain't open yet. Quote: "God is in control."- Sign. Question: Are those high hills on the western horizon the mountains? I didn't think I was close enough yet. May 25th Chinook, MT I patched up the blown tube this morning and it held! I don't know how it'll do on a rim, but I'm impressed by Krazy glue. Then I stopped at the hardware store on the off chance that they would have tubes and they did! So now I have a new spare and a patched one... I had a south wind today, which,while still not a tail wind, kept me a little cool and pushed the few stretches where I was headed north. The route took another jog off Highway 2 today. This one was a very pleasant 12 miles on a very quiet back road closer to the river. (I'm near the Milk River now.) I only saw two cars the whole 12 miles. The best part was that it had real curves! Also a lot more trees, although I think there are more trees in general... I encountered the first major stretch of the mythical "shoulders absent" parts of Highway 2 today. It was kind of weird riding on a road the looks like it ought to be a county road somewhere in a very rural part of WI, and knowing it was a US highway, and having the occasional semi zoom by. Kind of scary too, especially since I've ridden smoother county roads in Wisconsin. I'm camping at the water plant. There's a nice little park here and showers, etc., so once I found it I kind of fell in love. I got several sets of unsatisfactory directions before I found it though. There have been quite a few vehicles in here this evening, but I think most of them were ranchers filling water tanks, since most of them where trucks with big tanks on the back. Hopefully they'll taper off after dark... The sound of the waterfall is nice and soothing, if I don't look over and see all the chain link fence and concrete. Just saw lightning and a big cloud off to the southwest. The lady at the store at noon said most rain comes from the east. I hope so, 'cuz I don't really want to get wet. It's not as warm as last night. I wore shorts 'till well after dark then, but the sun just set here and I'm already starting to get chilly. I guess there's a breeze to cool me off too. Also I'm not coated in sun block and sweat. May 26th Hingham, MT The best day in a long time! Yes- This was a great day, despite broken sunglasses and the Big Bangs. I MET OTHER CYCLISTS. WITH LOADS. FOUR OF THEM. First, as I was pulling out of the grocery store in Havre, I almost missed the first cyclists of the year to cross Washington Pass, 'cuz loaded cyclists was the last thing I was looking for. We stopped and chatted for a few minutes, and as I was pulling out they said I might see a couple more. Jeff and Chris were about three miles out. Both pulling Bob Trailers, Chris on a recumbent. They've been camping with the other folks for several nights, but they're separate groups. J & C left Anacortes May 9th. Chris was having bike problems, and needed to get to the bike shop before five, so we didn't chat long, but I'm really riding high to have met others so early. I wasn't expecting them for a couple more weeks. As I expected, they say Logan isn't open yet, so I should be in Bigfork in less than a week! Earlier in the day I stopped at a rest stop and talked to a guy who'd been driving for 40 hours, from Kentucky, heading to Alberta. Great conversation, brightened my day considerably. He gave me some fishing line and hooks. I probably won't use 'em for fish, but the line might come in handy. (Sewing the button back on my pants?) Then in Havre I stopped at a bookstore while I waited for my photos. Had another great conversation with the owner about life, school, etc. He's an "Import". Considered weird by the locals, nine kids born at home, sounds kind of like us medical philosophy wise, but certainly has some sides I disagree with. Didn't feel like arguing those points though. (Son two time NRA shooting champ, I think he was saying 'Nam was OK, etc.) So I've covered the high points of the day. Lows: about two miles after Jeff and Chris I was riding through a graveled construction area. BANG. Out goes my front tire. Really out . As in non repairable, tire or tube. So much for my brand new spare tire. Keep the "make Ryland's jaw drop" tire as a spare for a while more I guess. Then as I was pumping up the new one, BANG. I had the tube pinched. I think I might be able to patch the tube this time. On the second try I bent the Presta valve (all they had in Havre), but it seems to hold air. (There are two kinds of valve stems available on bicycle tubes. Schrader, which is the standard car tire type, and Presta, or the "European" style, which consist sof a skinny metal stem with the little rod that operates the valve sticking out of the top of it. It then has a little nut thing that screws down tight to keep it from accidentally being bumped and letting all the air out. This type of valve may have prevented some of my woes with the stems wearing through, but I have bad luck with them bending.) This morning I saw a weasel, or something like that (cute little long skinny creature). I remembered some of the things from previous days that I wanted to write down but didn't, like the day I saw the tumble weeds that had gotten trapped on a little piece of mason's twine, which had gotten caught around a reflector. The weeds were out on the pavement, but couldn't move. Lets see. What else. Did I mention the dead duck in the barbed wire fence? Today I climbed 250 feet in the last 20 miles or so. That's just overall gain. There was quite a bit of up and down in there. I don't feel as much like I'm high up as I did earlier, maybe 'cuz can see higher peaks off in the distance. (Also I'm not so near a river gorge?) Quote: "This is the Real Montana. Sports greats and movie stars don't come here."- The book store owner "There is no 'real Montana' anymore." His partner/ employee. MAY 27th Shelby, MT Not a real exciting day. Late Start. Headwind. Uphill. OK- I am psyched, 'cuz I'm almost to Cut Bank, and I can finally see real mountains in the distance- Like a horizon to horizon chain. I've climbed over 500 feet in the last two days, and I'm now over 3250 feet. Water takes noticeably longer to boil... I better get in all the complaining about the wind here, 'cuz I've told myself that once I get to the mountains I won't complain about it any more (HA HA). So, here goes. Does it ever cease? Why do I always lay around till the wind starts? Can't it push me the way I want to go for once? Make it go away... Today I saw a westbound train with two engines at each end. Were the rear ones pushing, or just along for the ride? Quote: " This town kind of dies at night."- Postmistress, Hingham, when I mentioned some of the noisier parks I've been in. Question: Can I go from East Glacier to West Glacier in one day? It's 55 miles, but also over the divide. Only ten miles up... but I still don't know what the terrain is beyond there. May 28th Cut Bank, MT The Numbers: Dst: 1509 I'm sitting on top of a cool rock formation on the edge of a canyon, right next to the Riverview Campground. I can't see the river from my tent, But from here it's sure visible, and the wind and water carved rocks are amazing. I can see two horses grazing on the opposite side of the river. Despite the trash at the bottom of the gullies and the homes built on the edge of the canyon this is one of the most scenic natural areas I've come across yet...I haven't spent much time pursuing natural spots to sit and reflect, so I'm glad I stopped here. I've been kind of setting my sights on a town for a stopping place at night, but I'll have to try to remember to stay at parks between towns more often. Especially as I get further into the mountains and there are more. I like free camping in city parks, but they usually don't have much in the way of nature. Lake Shell-oole, where I stayed last night was closer to that than I realized last night. As I was eating breakfast a prairie dog came within about ten feet of me. I went and got my camera and spent about an hour trying to get close enough to take a photo of them. I finally got one to come out of his hole while I was close enough long enough to push the button. Of course all the cute interactions were taking place 30 or 40 feet away, where it would just look like a photo of a dusty campground. Riverview Campground, where I am tonight, looks kind of dirty right now, 'cuz they're still in the process of opening up for the summer. Store is empty, kitchen area has water, but no electricity, and sinks are dirty, lawn needs mowing, hot tub isn't on yet (Rats) etc. but I'm definitely gonna tell everyone I meet to stop here- Bicyclists $5 a head!... Of course a hot tub and camping for $5 should sound good to any bicyclist! Today the hills got steeper, and the mountains disappeared behind them most of the time, but the campground manager says Highway 2 doesn't get much steeper over the divide! He said we're at about 3800 feet here and the divide is 5280! Just a gradual climb for the next day and a few hours and I'll be at the top! ...I'm gonna try to rise with the sun and take some sunrise photos of these rocks. Quote: "So, are you just biking?"- Attendant at the laundromat. May 29th East Glacier Park, MT The Numbers: Max: 40.4 !!! I think I set myself a new record for speed achieved on my bike. It was just outside Cut Bank, going down to the Bridge over Cut Bank Creek. I came close again coming down to the Two Medicine river, but I used my brakes there, 'cuz it's cold enough that I thought I ought to heed the sign about "watch for ice on bridge." I'm truly in the mountains now. I'm not sure what the elevation is, and the terrain hasn't changed much yet, but as I crossed Two Medicine river all of a sudden there were trees and there still are! Wow! Also still snow on protected parts of hills, and lots on the mountain slopes. It's cold and rainy today, so now that I can really see the mountains, I can't see the tops, 'cuz of the clouds. I'm staying at the Backpackers Inn- definitely the cheapest place in town- probably cheaper than the campgrounds!- ten bucks a night. If any one else comes I could have to share a room, (6 beds to a room) but I don't think that's likely this time of year. It's not fancy- I'll still be in my sleeping bag- but it's warm (now that I've run the heater) and dry. I patronized the sister establishment restaurant for supper. Not nearly as cheap, but good Mexican food. The main dish could have been hotter, but the chips and salsa made up for it. I'll be crossing the divide tomorrow! Hopefully I'll make it to West Glacier, 55 miles away... Quote: "Kind of a yucky day for that."- Guy outside Subway in Browning as I was donning rain gear. Question: How come it chose Memorial Day weekend to get yucky? (Don't it always.) I forgot the most miserable part of the day! Nine miles of road construction- mostly packed gravel/ stones, but a fair bit of dirt and loose gravel scattered throughout. I rode straight through. The other part about it that was no fun, was two dogs who ran circles around me nearly the whole way. I think they were strays to start with, by the way they seemed to have mastered running under fences, and just their general appearance. I couldn't scare them off with the usual "Bad Dog, Go home" and they didn't get close enough for the water bottle. By the end I was hoping they'd follow me all the way to Browning, so I could call the dog catcher and have them locked up. No such luck. May 30th West Glacier, MT HOORAY- I CROSSED THE DIVIDE TODAY!!! The Numbers: Tot: 153:02 Trp: 1619 Avs: 12.5 Stp: 4:56:17 Max: 32.4 Oh, the irony of it. My top speed for the trip is set the day before I cross the continental divide. I think It was mostly 'cuz my wheel bearing was loose again (Actually the nut was loose, but the cone was tight...) I had to pedal to get down some hills, and uphills were killers at times even when they weren't any worse than, say, Fargo. The weather threw it's worst at me today. Snow near the summit. That was OK, but then my gloves were soaked when I started down, which quickly chilled my hands to the point of no writing. They could still operate the brakes (barely). Luckily a cafe showed up about nine miles down, and I stopped for a huge cup of hot chocolate, after which I was again able to appreciate the scenery. The climb to the top was not too bad at all. I think Columbia Heights (a hill near us at home) is worse! It was mostly little steps of a hundred feet or less, so it was easy. I think climbing up this side would be worse. It's not all down hill from Marias Pass to here. The first 14 miles or so are, but then we reach the river valley and have to climb up and down to find the best ledges for the road. If only we could just use the railroad bed.(Oh boy- tunnels) Speaking of railroads, that was one of the interesting sights today. Besides tunnels there are places where there are roofs over the tracks. These are usually when the tracks are well up on the sides of the mountain, and look like they are where there is a good chance of snow sliding down the mountain. These "Sheds" would keep the snow off the tracks. However I think my favorite railroad sight was when as the road was climbing a hill the tracks entered a tunnel at about road level, and 1/4 mile later reappeared 50 to 100 feet below the road on the other side. Marias Pass is one of those cases where the "pass" and the high point in the road are not the same. After I reached the unsigned top I rode about another mile before I saw the sign saying "Continental Divide". It was about 64 feet lower too. I didn't have the room at the Backpackers inn to myself last night. About 2 AM a drunk cowboy stumbled in. Luckily he just lay down and went to sleep. Woke up a couple times to piss, but wasn't too disturbing... I stopped for lunch at a river access spot, where a blue green snowmelt stream flowed into the muddy gray- yellow Middle Fork Flathead. It was a classic case of two streams gradually mingling- very definite line of separation. Beautiful. Quote: " I'm sure those mountain bikes are an abomination."- British tourist at the summit. Question: How did I manage to get here without using granny gear? I mean I used it the first few days, and on some of the worse back roads to people in MN, but I made it over the divide without even going into low gear in back! Well, OK, I used it yesterday, and on this side when my bearing was acting up. It took me less than an hour to climb those ten miles and 500 feet! May 31st Green's, Bigfork, MT I cheated today. It was raining, and about 15 miles from here Stuart came out and found me with his car. I hardly thought twice about the ride. It was just the right time. I was sore and wet, and had just been yelled at by a motorist, and was generally sick of the road. This was only the second time I've had someone harass me other than the honk two feet behind and squeeze by with minimal space type. These people were going the other direction, and hollered "Idiot". They may have been one of the vehicles who passed earlier and honked at me. That time it wasn't my fault the traffic was slow, 'cuz a car had slowed down and not passed, even though in my opinion they had room. The other time I got harassed it was a typical teenage asshole back in Cut Bank who thought I was in his way, and gave me the bird as he passed. I've had a few other people yell at me but never heard what they said. The first one was a couple of young kids sticking their heads out of the window as they passed. I think they were saying something about my underwear strapped on the back of my load drying. I'm at Stuart's now!... His sisters are kind of annoying. Quote: "Do you stop to sleep?"- Erin, a friend of the Greens who was over for supper. June 2nd Green's Leslie (Stuart's four year old sister) really latched onto me today, when I helped her with her Ernie workbook. After supper Stuart and I went to Kalispell to a class taught by the monk from the local Buddhist center. During the meditation at the beginning I realized how much I really do miss that hour of meditation every week that I'm not getting when I'm not going to Quaker Meeting. 10 minutes was a big relief, but I wanted more. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get to Sandpoint, but I'd really like to be there on a Sunday, and go to Meeting. The rest of the class was interesting, although my mind drifted a couple times. I wasn't clear on exactly what the topic was supposed to be, but the basic premise was the part of Buddhism I'm already familiar with, that true happiness is achieved by not thinking bad thoughts, and not just thinking about ourselves. Quote: I don't have a specific quote, but during Q&A time someone asked the monk how we are supposed to deal with the Ego. His answer was that the Ego is the last of a huge army to go, and you must approach it the same way you would go about attacking an army. Not by rushing down the hill headlong, when they will open before us so we get to the middle and are surrounded, but by spying and attacking one at a time, when they are off guard.OK, OK, here's a real quote- "You're like a roman soldier, with your little stabbing sword, and your opponent is the 15th squadron of the modern army, with tanks and Apache helicopters. You'll come up and attack a tank with your little stabby sword. Clink, Clink." June 6th Green's I'm leaving tomorrow... Quote: "Oh no... Poor Lorin"- Jennyrose, during an instant messenger chat, after Stuart told her he had had two espressos and two sodas today. He was really wired. June 7th Whitefish Lake State Park, Whitefish, MT On the road again... I took my leave of the Greens today, although I made my latest start yet- Noon. A week was too long to be off my bike.- I had to relearn steering with a load, etc. I'm still a little nervous around traffic, but I think I'm in control of the bike again. I rode Highway 93 up from Kalispel to Whitefish. I think it takes the prize for the busiest road I've ridden on yet. Luckily it has good shoulders till it leaves Whitefish. I'll be following it again tomorrow, but this side of town doesn't seem as busy. As soon as I left the Greens driveway I knew I hadn't lost the wind. During the first half of the ride, up to Kalispel, it seemed to come from the southwest, not to bad for a cyclist heading north-northwest. however I took about two hours for shopping and lunch, and when I left town the wind had switched to the northwest. Arrgh. I think the valley must funnel it so it goes up or down the valley, not across. Once I got here I had to ride back to town to get change, 'cuz I didn't have $9 and the change was locked up for the night. I left my stuff in a campsite. It was fun riding without all that weight, although shaky as usual. I don't know how much sleep I'll get tonight, since the railroad runs right past the park... hopefully I can sleep through all the trains, but the few so far have been pretty loud. I chose the one tent site in the middle of a bunch of RV sites, 'cuz all the other tent sites are even closer to the tracks. Despite the fact that it's been a week since I had to deal with them, the usual questions are already starting to annoy me again. I put on my nice smiley face and attitude, and answer, but I try to get going as quick as I can. I'm already starting to miss high plains hospitality. Around here there are very few towns that let you camp free in their park, so camping is going to start costing me money more often. I think that was the best part of that stretch of the trip- riding into town and just pitching my tent wherever in the park, rather than having to pay and being stuck in a little cubby on hard ground where every other person who's ever used the site put their tent as well. (What am I talking about. Best part?) I felt slightly put out today when a chick on a mountain bike passed me and quickly left me in the dust. I had to remind myself she's probably trying for speed, and she's not hauling 80 pounds of stuff. I also saw a loaded cycle and rider in Kalispel, but didn't stop to talk...he looked like a hobo on a bike, and his equipment wasn't all that impressive either... Quote: "The trains come through here irregularly regularly."- The attendant at the gate here. June 8th Eureka, MT Whoops- I just realized I was complaining about the wind yesterday. I didn't get out of the state park till 11 o'clock - I didn't even wake up till quarter to nine! How did I manage that? The worst thing that happened today was that the bracket for my handle bar bag broke. It was maybe partly my fault, 'cuz I pressed kind of hard on the bag to try to squash my hat flatter so I could see the map, but I don't think it was any harder than I've pushed on it before. I'll try and Krazy glue it back together, but I'm gonna call Jandd (the manufacturer) and see about getting a replacement shipped to me somewhere. I'm in a motel here- I could have checked the one across the street to see if it was cheaper, but the clerk here is planning a cross country ride, so I decided to give her my business. I like the clerk. She reminds me a lot of Kyla (a Not Back to School Camp staff person, who left high school at age 18 to go bicycle around South America) somehow. She seems to have about three jobs here. The office is in a convenience store which also has a restaurant attached- she appears to be the cook or waitress , and run the cash register in the store! It feels good to be back on the road. I wasn't so sure most of the day, following Highway 93, but the last eight miles into town were on a back road. It was beautiful, but rough. The best part was riding through the smoke where they were burning the debris from a clear-cut. It looked like they were gonna build something there. Even on the highway it wasn't all wondering why I'm doing this. There was a lot of great scenery, and at one point I was realizing that I can't really imagine being at home right now. I guess the whole trip is kind of a be here in the present moment thing. I'm continually amazed by how I can be riding in the sun, and just what looks like five miles away I can see rain falling on the mountains- or snow, as appears to be the case out in front of me now. Quote: "That's it. I'm quitting my job and going with you."- The motel clerk. June 9th Big Bend Campground, east of Libby, MT Krazy Glue wouldn't even hold my handle bar bag bracket with no pressure on it, but Bungee cords to the rescue! I now I have my maps back in front of me, although I have bungees getting in the way of my hands a little bit. Mostly it's annoying when I want to remove the bag though. I spent most of the day riding at least 100 feet and usually more than that, above the beautiful green water of Lake Koocanusa. It's a man made lake, which flooded many whistle stop towns and the old RR tracks when Libby Dam was built in the '70s. I wasn't going to stop at the dam, but as I rode past the entrance all of a sudden I heard SSSSSS...Flat. I'm not sure what I hit. Something that did minor damage to the tire. The tube held enough pressure to keep the rim off the ground into the parking lot. I did a duct tape job on the tire (duct tape on the inside) and patched the tube. I've come to the conclusion that if you can find the leak easily it's just as quick to patch the tube and put it back, as to get out a new one and figure out how to roll up the old one and remember to patch it later.- Plus if you can find the leak on the bike its usually 'cuz you've got an obvious culprit in the tire and you just line them up. Not so easy once you've removed the tube and changed the alignment of the tire. I'm now much closer to the river (less than 10 feet above?), but below the dam. I'll be lulled to sleep by the sound of the rapids, and hopefully the trains won't wake me up. They don't seem to blow their whistles around here, so they kind of blend into the water sounds. OK- I'm not complaining here. I'm just going to mention the head wind. It was strong enough to slow me down considerably. I haven't figured out why, but it seems like I have to work harder to get up shallower grades than I did before the divide. I'm not sure if my bearings are tight somewhere or if the grades are worse and just look shallow 'cuz everywhere I look I see 75 degree slopes. I'm inclined to suspect a bearing of something, "cuz it often seems like I have to work hard to go down hill. I've noticed quite a few things flowering the last couple of days: Wild geraniums, wild strawberries, something that sort of looks like lupines, something that has yellow flowers like Black-Eyed Susans, but with a yellow center, and last but not least, wild roses.- Probably my second favorite flower after lilacs. They don't perfume the air quite as much, but I got one good whiff of them today. Quote: "Washington is kind of rough." - An eastbound cyclist I met today. Question: How long will it take me to get back to my routine? This sleep till 9, don't leave till 11 bullshit really sucks. I guess I'll cross the time zone in a couple days. June 10th Bad Medicine Campground, MT Last night in Montana. The Numbers: Tot: 175:53 I guess bike season is in full swing. I've met eastbound cyclists two days in a row! First I pulled into the grocery store in Libby, and there was a woman sitting there next to a couple loaded bikes, wearing the gear. Her companion came out a few minutes later with a bag of groceries. I'm not clear if they're a couple, a group who have been planning together, or just a couple bikers who bumped into each other and are riding together... Then later this afternoon I passed a solo guy who didn't stop to talk. The people in Libby said there are about 15 people ahead of me, I think meaning westbound ones. A group of 13, and two solos. (I guess they must have passed while I was at Stuart's.) They also gave me some magic chain lube to try to clear up my clicking chain, but if anything it's worse now. I'm tempted to remove the master link and see if that helps. There is a bird outside going nuts over something. I think it's my food bag, 'cuz when I shined my flashlight out it glanced off the reflective tape, and the bird sounded even more alarmed. I had my first First Aid Kit call today. I sliced myself opening a package of cheese. Dumb. Speaking of cheese I've reentered weird cheese country.- Stores large enough to bother with things like Provolone, Gruyre etc. Blue cheese is even a common sight, also Feta. This is nice because the ones you find in Nowhereville, high plains, are limited to Cheddar, Mozzarella, Jack, and Colby, none of which are super hard, and so don't take to traveling well. I rode two miles off route, downhill, to go to Troy, hoping I could stop at the bike shop for a new tire and tube. Of course the bike shop has closed, or moved or something. I couldn't find it anyway. The reason I needed a new tire is that the one I duct taped yesterday went again. Same spot. I decided to replace it rather than go through it every day. Once again it blew right at a convenient stopping place- the overlook next to Kootenai Falls. I was planning to stop this time. I would have liked to hike back the trail to the swinging bridge at least a ways, but decided that repairing the tire used up that time. It's really windy here right now. I was getting nervous at one point watching the trees bend, and when I went down by the lake the waves were pretty big for a lake this size. Quote: "Don't tell me you're going to Maine too."- Scruffy local on a bike in Troy. (He wasn't, but he'd met someone a couple days ago who was...) Question: Will I meet any other westbound riders? June 11th Diamond T Guest Ranch, Clark Fork, ID Yup- Idaho. The Numbers: Tot: 179:42 Dst: 1913 Trp: 41.8 Avg: 10.93 Stp: 3:49:21 Max: 25.9 Late start again. 11 by the time I left camp. I then rode three more miles off route to see Ross Creek Cedars. It was a tough three miles too- climbing for the first two, at a fairly steep grade. I actually used granny gear for part of it! The road in is one of the narrowest roads I've ever seen. If two RVs met on it one of them would probably have to back up to the next corner where the road is wider. I think I probably appreciated the old growth cedar grove more than someone who drove in would. It sure is an amazing experience to walk among those giants eight feet in diameter, 150 or more tall, 500 plus years old... ... I think one of the most awesome views of the whole trip was coming back out, when I reached the high point on the road and could see the Cabinet mountains spread out in front of me, across the valley. Late in the afternoon, just before the Idaho line, I stopped to talk to a guy out riding his horse. he was pretty interesting, and knew some about biking... He said he went to school at the UW. I'm now at Diamond T Guest Ranch. It's cheap for it's nameŠ $15 a night, with no linens. I've got a mattress, and a kitchen, and a nice cabin though. No phone... There's lots of animals here- horses, geese, ducks, peacocks, dogs, cats, are the ones I've seen or been told about. The dogs are hiding, but the peacock was on my porch while I ate super, and the most amusing sight I've seen for a while was a goose chasing away a cat. The geese seem to think the ducks are their children. When they were swimming one goose was in front, then the ducks, then the other goose, all in a nice neat line. Question: What would it be like if all the forests around here were as old as the Ross Creek grove? June 12th Steve and Elizabeth Willey's, On top of a mountain, near Sandpoint, ID Hufda! What a day. I left Diamond T about 9:00 and rode through Clark Fork, and along Lake Pend Orielle (pronounced Pond Oray). I stopped for lunch at a Corps Of Engineers Recreation site. While I ate I watched a family with a retarded, deaf son. His brother was trying to get him to go swimming, but he thought the water was too cold, so the dad and the brother were splashing him and throwing rocks in near him to splash him. There was one very big rock that they used several times. While I felt sorry for the kid, it was amusing to watch. It seemed a little cool for swimming to me at that time, but about a mile from here I could have used a dip. The Willeys truly live on top of a mountain- 1 1/2 miles like our driveway, only larger rocks... The fact that I forgot to fill my water bottles this morning didn't help. I ran out of water about halfway up, but luckily I had an apple and some juice left from lunch, which brought me to the top. Willeys fly a helicopter a lot, and today Elizabeth was going to go out, but as she was hovering, checking gauges, etc., one of the coolant hoses came off, and the thing was on fire when she landed.- just antifreeze on the hot engine, but that was the second time it's happened. I'm not sure I want to take a ride in it now... We think the problem is fixed now- the hose clamp is in the right place, and she flew it 15 feet back to the landing pad. ( They had recently replaced all the coolant hoses, and one of the hose clamps had not been put on behind the little lump that is supposed to keep it from getting blown off when the pressure increases.) Quote: "For the first hour I worry about all the little parts that could come apart, and then the second hour I usually have decided that everything is all right and can have fun chasing cars or whatever."- Steve Willey, while trying to fix the helicopter. Question: Can I make it down the hill without destroying my bike, or killing myself? June 13th Willey's Sick... I'm suspecting that the Rum Raisin Ice cream at lunch didn't agree with me, but it could have been any of a number of other things.- Eating chips too fast is another possibility, or elevation, although I feel like I'm getting enough air. I first started feeling lousy shortly after lunch, but I went to Friends Meeting this evening anyway. I actually threw up once after meeting, during fellowship time, but I made it to the toilet there. Then we went out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. I had a vegetarian burrito, which I ate too fast, as usual. Of course the drive up the hill here was not helpful, and I tossed my cookies again while we were waiting for Elizabeth to get to the door with the keys. I'm hoping that's emptied me out, and I can get a nights sleep without barfing again, but I feel rumblings in my tummy again. I may stay here another day if matters aren't improved in the morning. June 14th Willey's I'm feeling better this evening, although this morning I was still tired and a little queasy. I ate and held my food though. Good sign there. I spent most of the day cat napping, writing postcards, reading, and listening to one end of three phone conversations at once. The guest room I'm in is a loft directly over the office of Backwoods Solar, so I got to hear Scott, JD, and Elizabeth all talking to customers and suppliers at once... Lunch was excellent, despite my stomach- a couple of Greek salads, hummus, etc. Desert was the best though. Super thick brownie with whipped cream on top, and a mocha whipped cream in the middle. I guess if I managed to hold that down I should be healthy again. This evening Steve took me to visit a couple of neighbors, neither of whom were home. One had dug a cave on his property, but since we had no lights we couldn't go in. It has collapsed in a couple places, but is apparently still a hundred feet deep or so. Elizabeth was in town, so we took the motorcycle. It felt totally different from a bicycle, probably mostly 'cuz I was on the back and had no control. A real exercise in trust. I had to remind myself that every thing was all right a couple of times, especially going down hill. I needed brakes to feel secure. Quote: "We'll have a regular popcorn meeting"- Steve on the phone to another Friend. Elizabeth explained that they used to have Business Meetings at Judith and Jim's house, and they always served popcorn, hence... ( In Quaker slang, a popcorn meeting is one in which a lot of people speak and often don't leave much time between messages.) Question: Which would take more trust from me: The motorcycle, or the helicopter? June 15th Newport, WA The Numbers: Tot: 188:53 Dst: 2010 (Newport was 2000 exactly, I'm out of town a ways.) Trp: 65.07 Avg: 10.74 Stp: 6:03:22 Max: 29.5 HOT. HOT. HOT. That's the main memory I'll have of today. Also seeing seven eastbounders! It was really too hot to cycle much of the day- but that didn't stop me. I'm not sure why, but even bottled water tasted bad to me today. The campground water is OK though. I think it's probably because I needed more nutrients that weren't in the water... I left Willey's at the fairly reasonably hour of nine AM, although I should have sped up a bit 'cuz of the heat. It's probably going to be just as hot tomorrow. I ought to go to the get on the road early and rest from 11 to 3 schedule... Once again I had to ride back to town to cash a travelers check so I could pay for the campground. Of course the cashier didn't have enough 1's to give me five, so I had to try to find change for a twenty here... I calculated the climb up Sherman pass will be roughly twice as steep as Marias was. Yipes- it's 23 miles too! I've got a much shorter, but steeper yet one the day after tomorrow, but I'll try to ignore that too. Quote: "It'll be over a hundred in a couple more hours."- Convenience store clerk in Kootenai. I don't think it was quite that hot, but... Question: How are you supposed to hang your food from a tree to keep the bears out when all the branches are either dead, 20 feet up, or slope down.- Or all of the above? June 16th Newport, WA, again. Terrible Day. I'VE OUT BADDED MAY 23RD. The Numbers: Trp: 42.77 Avs: 11.05 Stp: 3:52:10 Max: 30.9 OK. I rode 42.77 miles and didn't make one inch of forward progress at any time during the day. How? When I got up this morning I remembered that I wanted to check my rear hub bearings. They really needed checking. The axle was broken in two. I'm guessing it broke on the way up or down Willey's driveway, but it was probably cracked or bent before that... ...I put it back together and rode the three miles back to town, where I called the Willeys. Despite the fact that they are already short handed today, 'cuz JD's in Wisconsin for the Energy Fair, Elizabeth came and rescued me, and took me back to Sandpoint. The bike shop she took me to is much better than the one I stopped at yesterday. Cheaper anyway (I guess). It turned out that buying a whole new wheel cost only $5 more than replacing the axle would have, but we couldn't get the freewheel off my old wheel, so I bought a new one of those too... I did most of the work, moving the tire etc., but I was allowed to use their tools. Pretty good for a big bike shop like that, but I suppose that Andy, the head mechanic, had lots of stuff to do, and letting me use his tools saved him time to do work for people who'd been in line for days... He won my award for one of the most helpful people I've met on this trip when he called up Jandd and talked them into shipping me a new handle bar bag bracket despite the fact that he's not even a Jandd dealer! (I had called them myself when the bracket broke, and they said I had to send them the broken one before they would send a new one.) I just have to wait 'till Tonasket to find out if they do. Luckily when I was done with all that, it was only 12:40, so I managed to ride back here. I could now almost ride Dufort Road blindfolded, but that means I've effectively only lost one day, instead of one and a half or two... Before I left Sandpoint I stopped at a Mexican food stand that was highly recommended by both Elizabeth and Andy. Luckily it was cooler today. Cloudy this morning, thank God, or I would have roasted sitting in the parking lot waiting for Elizabeth. Quote: "Now were stylin'." - Andy's favorite phrase. Question: How did I manage to break an axle? June 17th Leo Lake Campground, WA I'm still not convinced that all is right with my rear wheel. When I had a flat today, I spun the wheel while the bike was on it's side and it sure seemed to stop way too fast. I thought I had it fixed by loosening up the quick-release a tiny bit, but later it once again seemed like I wasn't getting up enough speed on the downhills. I stopped for lunch at Manressa Grotto. The area by the road looked pretty ugly- unmowed grass, graffiti covered, badly painted picnic shelter, trash, seemingly random paths around the boulders. The kind of place local kids probably come to get drunk and make out. Once I climbed up to the grotto- a cave on the hillside- my opinion changed a bit. It's obviously not cared for much- the path is overgrown, and the pedestal which must once have held a statue of the Virgin Mary or something, was empty, but I noticed that there is still no graffiti in the main cave, while a couple nearby ones are covered in it. The aforementioned flat tire was caused by running over a piece of aircraft cable. It was a slowish leak- lost most of the pressure at first, but still held the rim off the ground...so I managed to ride the last half mile of so to the Ione city park, and change it in the shade. From Ione I climbed the first of the really steep climbs ahead of me. Only 1000 feet vertically in less than ten miles doesn't make it a pass, but it was a heavy duty climb. I managed to make it all the way without stopping! - even for the guy who offered me a ride (at least that's what I think he meant by pulling over and giving me the hitchhiking sign). This was the steepest climb of the trip, but I lose all the altitude I gained before I begin the climb to Sherman Pass... I passed three more cyclists going east today. A couple from Memphis who thought they were going to give me directions for a route around Sherman and Wauconda passes, which would still have some passes, but not quite so bad. They couldn't find the directions though... The third cyclist just waved as he rode past so I don't know anything about him. I might not have stopped had he shown any willingness to anyway, 'cuz I was halfway up a hill (not THE hill though). I saw a second sign specifically warning cyclists of road hazards today. The first one was at Libby dam, back in MT, saying watch out for slots in the deck. I didn't ride over the dam anyway. Today's sign said "Narrow shoulders and logging trucks- next 38 miles." Quotes: "Manressa Grotto. A Beautiful Grotto Exists."- Sign at the grotto. "You'll just have to ride over Sherman Pass once so you can say 'those old folks from Memphis were right.'"- the old folks from Memphis. Question: If the climb to Sherman Pass is over twice as long, and twice as steep as Marias was, how long does it take to ride it (One hour for Marias) and how much extra water do I need to carry? June 18th Canyon Creek Campground, WA The Numbers: Tot: 203:18 I was awoken this morning by nature's best alarm clock (if you could set it), the squirrel. There was one right outside my tent making a huge racket over something at 4:20 AM- Actually about when I ought to be waking up- especially this morning 'cuz I wanted to take sunrise over the lake photos. Turned out to be cloudy, but I took some any way. Then I went back to sleep, so I still got a late start. OK, Nine AM isn't as late as I have been, but the guy I met just at the junction of the highway and the road to the campground must have gotten going pretty early in the morning to have made it 30 miles by nine, going up hill. He was from La Crosse, WI! He agreed with me and other Wisconsinites I know, that WI has tougher hills than these. Everyone talks about how these 6% grades are so tough and everything, but it's not really that bad, just really long. I think we've got much steeper grades at home- 8-10 %? Of course I still have yet to climb all the way over a pass other than Marias, which I still say was a walk in the park. I had a slightly disturbing dream just before I woke up. It started out with the usual jumble of stuff somewhat related to current events that was in my brain- the energy fair, the fly on my tent being unstaked, (I was kind of pissed off about that the evening before, when I found the stakes pulled out by someone or something.) 4-H conference, etc. The end was the disturbing part. Ryland, me, and then a whole bunch of other people crawled through this curving Styrofoam tunnel to a room containing a 4-H conference style art show. The main theme was the numbers 1-8 all made of Styrofoam. The last thing I noticed before I woke up was that on each number there was a picture of a being (Death? A Grateful Dead skeleton? the guy from the Scream painting?) falling backward progressively further into an open grave. Does that foretell doom in eight days? or is it just saying what some quick figuring says could be, that I'll be laying the Northern Tier to rest in about eight days? I think I'll be extra careful that day, just the same. I made it through Colville alive. The fairgrounds is right next to the route, and there wasn't much going on down there yet in the middle of the afternoon. I saw several people all dressed up in rodeo clown outfits, etc. in the sports shop I stopped in. ( Colville hosts the PRCA rodeo every summer, and I happened to ride through town that weekend. I believe I saw it claimed somewhere that it's the biggest rodeo in the country.) I had another flat tire just before Colville. Exact same hole in the tire as yesterday. I just put duct tape in the tire and patched the tube this time. If it goes again tomorrow I'll switch tires...Then I had to pump it up about four times, 'cuz I had the tube in so the stem got in the way of the bead seating properly, and it kept trying to push it's way off the rim... In Colville, as I was packing up my lunch, another cyclist rolled in. He was another pseudo-local rider- Woodstock, IL, this time, but he knows where Pepin is. He seems to ride at more my speed- possibly slower! Sounded like he stayed in Kettle Falls last night, and was planning to only go another 20 miles or so. I do seem to ride at the slow end of the spectrum. OK. I'm gonna complain about the wind again. This was one fierce wind, from the south. In one valley near Kettle Falls it was almost as bad as the worst of Eastern Montana, and there was a bare field beside the road with dust blowing off it so thick that at one point near the ground it looked black. I'm just glad the field was on the north side of the road. I walked across the Columbia River, because once again the wind was trying to knock my bike off the sidewalk onto the road while I was walking! There's not much between the sidewalk and the roadŠ just a guard rail the standard height above the road but only about two inches above the sidewalk, and the occasional bridge girder. OK. Enough complaining. The campground I'm in is kind of annoying, 'cuz there's no water. Luckily I don't have to pay (or if I do I haven't seen the place to do so). Anyway, I bought three quarts of water in town to be extras for the climb tomorrow. I haven't used up all the water in my regular bottles yet, but I'll probably have two empty before I leave. Hopefully five bottles worth will get me to Republic. It's only 30 miles, but the first half is uphill. and I don't think there's anything between here and there. For some reason I neglected to get groceries in Kettle Falls, so I had four tortillas with a little bit of cheese, tahini, honey, and dried fruit for supper. Even if I had shopped I wouldn't have had much else, since I'm in water saver mode. Hopefully I won't need much granola to fill me up in the morning, but I'm still a little hungry now... I've set my alarm for five again, and hope to actually get moving at that point so I can beat the heat and the traffic on the climb. I have such great timing- attacking passes on weekends- my God, this is Fathers day weekend too! I guess it's really just trading logging trucks for RV's here. Speaking of logging trucks, as I was approaching the campground here a couple of logging trucks came over a rise blowing their horns. I thought "How nice- they know bicyclists use this road and try to warn them." Then I topped the rise and saw that they were honking at a family walking down the road. Quote: "Hey- will you give me a ride?"- One of the kids in the family on the road. My answer-" Heck No". Question: Was eastern Montana real? June 19th Republic, WA The Top of the World! OK, not quite, but the top of my trip. The Numbers: Highest point of the day/ trip: 5575 feet. Crossed Sherman Pass today- 5575 feet above sea level. I actually got up at 5 and on the road by 7. The climb was difficult, but not as bad as I had feared. I managed the 15 miles in about three hours, including several stops. My windbreaker was on and off several times throughout the climb. First I was too hot, and drenched with sweat, so when I took it off I quickly got too cold. I stopped at the Campground/ overlook near the top and got out my tights, 'cuz I knew the ride down would be freezing in shorts. At the top there was a couple on a motorcycle who I asked to take a photo of me. Hey- there's hopefully actually a photo of me now! On the way down I passed through the site of the White Mountain fire, a forest fire that burned two (or was it 20) thousand some acres in 1988. There was a wayside with little informative signs about the fire, including one about salvage logging, over which someone had Written "Propaganda" and then their own environmentalist propaganda, which I was somewhat more inclined to agree with, although I thought it was a little extreme. I got to Republic about noon. I could have kept going, but it's not very far to Tonasket, and I would have had to wait there all day tomorrow to get my mail on Monday. So I got a motel room and I'm writing this during commercial breaks. I spent the afternoon doing laundry, and went out for pizza for supper. It was pretty good pizza, but the main attraction was the waitresses. Them and the girls in the next booth. June 20th Tonasket, WA Wauconda Pass day. The climb wasn't too bad, and the descent was not as impressive as Sherman, but easier is better going up, and you've got to live with it going down. I stopped in Wauconda ( a little don't blink town three miles this side of the pass) for lunch. There was a couple from Neenah, WI stopped there for lunch when I pulled in. We chatted for a while, and just as they were leaving a father and son from Michigan pulled in. Now if only we'd timed it a little better so we could have all eaten together. Both these groups were east bound. The Moes (WI) had a friend sagging for them... I'm camped at Shannon's Ice Cream Parlor and RV park, here in town. Cheapest private campground yet, although I had to pay $2 for an eight minute shower across the street at the laundromat. For the first time I have cycling neighbors for the night. Two sisters who started in San Francisco, and are basically doing my trip in reverse, only all the way to Maine, are camped here as well. We haven't talked much- they went off to shower, and do laundry, and eat, and haven't been around much, so I'm not really getting much time to chat compared to a road side encounter. Maybe in the morning. It's been threatening to rain all afternoon. I guess I'd rather it do it during the night, rather than tomorrow, but that would mean a wet tent in the morning. But hey, I've got people to share the misery with. The report today is that the west side of Washington pass is not a single climb, but a series of thousand foot climbs, and 5-700 foot drops, depending on who's telling it. I talked to Reanna this evening. She says she got tendonitis from her recumbent. Her chiropractor says she can do the trip on an upright, but that means she has to get a good upright. She is going to be our slow, weak link during the first few days we're riding together I think. Sarabeth and April are meeting up in Astoria on July 14th... Quote: "The bike is slow but the earth is patient."- The Moes Question: Should I try to get over Loupe Loupe Pass tomorrow, or just do the mileage to the base, or do the climb and camp on top?... June 21st Twisp, WA Mail, Mail, Mail, and More Mail. I think I got as much today as at all my other mail stops put together! Best a letter from Sarabeth, worst food from Tim and Karen (only 'cuz I had to fit it into my load somehow). Actually the best was my handle bar bag bracket. I can ride without bungees getting in my way again! I took about an hour and a half at the post office! That's 'cuz I stopped to read all my letters... Then I rode to Okanogan, which was a fairly easy ride, although there was a nasty head wind part of the time. (Whoops.) After Lunch I tackled Loup Loup Pass. The hardest one yet, primarily because I rode it at the end of the day, rather than the beginning. I had to use granny gear for the first time on pavement since WI! Also the wind was still a problem at times. There was a short downhill part way up where I got going 30 MPH or so, and at one point the wind caught me funny and I almost wiped out. Several times during the climb I rode off the pavement, onto the sand at the edge, which worked like a runaway truck ramp, and I had to pull my foot out of the toe clip quick. I was afraid I was going to do permanent damage to my foot and leg doing that a couple times. The other thing that made it seem so bad was that I kept forgetting to read my odometer at known landmarks, so I had no idea how much further it really was. I'd go around a corner and say "that has to be this one on the map", and then the next one would curve the wrong direction. The highlight of the ride down was a mile or so of 8% grade. I got into Twisp about Seven PM, meaning I had barely enough light to finish supper cleanup with. Quote: "Wow. Wow. WOW!"- Me, on coming around a corner and seeing the main range of the Cascades spread out in front of me. Oh yeah.- Yesterday I mentioned the sisters camped next to me. I forgot to mention that Marie, the younger one (I think) is extremely obese. (I'm sorry, there's no other way to put it.) Her belly flops around, and I don't see how she can stand to be seen in bike shorts, let alone have already ridden from San Francisco to Vancouver, and over two passes. June 22nd Colonial Campground, Diablo, WA YA HOOO! There. I forgot to holler when I made it over Washington Pass, so I've written it here. The Numbers: Trp: 74.66 Avs: 10.29 Max: 41.8 Late start, nine AM, but I still mastered the toughest pass of them all, and rode 75 miles today. The climb. Most of it wasn't that much worse than Sherman, except the last mile or so, around a hair pin curve, and climb 500 plus feet. From a distance the climb looked damn near impossible, but I made it. I actually stopped less than yesterday, because I went back to my set a distance between stops method, instead of ride until you think you'll die if you don't stop, which turns into stop every 1/4 mile. At the end my distances between stops were quite short (less then 1000 feet?) but lower down they were 1-2 miles. There was lots of snow along the side of the road. One place (after I used up my film) had a snow tunnel carved by a mountain stream where it gully had filled up with it. Rainy Pass sort of lived up to it's name. I guess technically you can call it a pass- the road goes down on either side and the mountains go up on either side of the road- although I'm more inclined to call it a bump on Washington. It wasn't really raining, but it sort of spit for a few minutes. I put on my rain gear 'cuz someone at Washington Pass had said it was raining further down. At Washington Pass there was a couple who passed on a tandem. First of those I've seen. Then just past the crest at the overlook, there was a couple stopped to get out warm clothes, and celebrate having made it even though they had not trained hardly at all before leaving three days ago... I was just doing some calculations and if I'm lucky I could make it to Vancouver in three days! Quotes: "Wheww!!! Cold!" And: "You're going the wrong way." - The cyclists going down as I was headed up. June 24th Sedro-Wooley, WA The Numbers: Trp: 80.21 Yesterday was one of those days where I got a very late startŠ 11 or later. It was mostly 'cuz I had a flat tire when I woke up. Also broke my pocket pal trying to loosen my freewheel. I'll have to try to find a new one in Bellingham today. (A Pocket Pal is a cool little device, hard to find nowadays, which enables you to use something like a fence post as a lever to remove your freewheel , rather than having to carry a heavy crescent wrench.) Bellingham? Today? Yikes- this trip is almost over. I'm having a hard time adjusting to that thought. In a way it's exciting, but it's also kind of scary. We'll see how far I get today. It's raining out there now, and I'm in a motel ('cuz that's what there is in Sedro-Wooley), so I have to got on the road by 11. Yuck. It was one of those 100% humidity but not raining days yesterday. I suppose I was lucky to have it hold off all day. I had another flat tire yesterday afternoon. Same tire, so I switched tires. The new leak was again a hole in the tire- there are now three holes about three to four inches apart in the tire. I hope my $30 Kevlar tire holds up better... I really enjoyed the scenery yesterday. Lots of broadleaf trees, with conifers on the hillsides, and mixed here and there. Some places were great examples of temperate rainforest- big trees, moss everywhere- then around the next bend would be an area that had been logged. Quote: "You sure picked a lousy weekend for a bike ride."- Some guy in Concrete. June 24th Birch Bay State Park, WA The Numbers: Dst: 2544 My mind still doesn't comprehend that this is the last night I'll spend alone for a couple of months- or more. I mean, I'll have my own tent, but I'll have friends to talk to etc. I'm a little bit nervous about the border crossing. Hopefully it's just a simple show us your ID, answer three questions, there you go thing... I didn't get going till after 10 this morning, partly 'cuz of the rain. It had quit by then, but the roads were nice and wet to speed me on my way. The sun was out part of the afternoon. Actually lousy weather was good for today, because the wind was southerly, instead of the usual northerly, so I didn't have a head wind. I met the first solo woman of the trip this morning outside of Sedro-Woolly. We stopped and talked for a few minutes. I was the first cyclist she'd seen, although that's not too unusual, since she can't have been out for more than a couple of days... She was one of what I call the cheap but usable equipment type riders- She was wearing some leather sandal/clog sort of things on her feet, and I don't think she had cycling shorts or jersey, although they could have been under warm clothes. Somehow I don't think she'll make it very far in those shoes. Her best idea was plastic bag booties! I moved from the Northern Tier Route to the Pacific Coast route today. Once I got onto the Coast route I saw several other cyclists, but all were unloaded- possibly racing...All super light bikes, Camelbaks, and calves like the Himalayas. (Camelbaks are backpack hydration systems,- basically a plastic bag of water with a tube coming to near your mouth.) I actually enjoyed riding through Bellingham. Large town-52,000- but there is a bike lane on the busy street they route you on- one of the arterials right through downtown! I didn't have time to check out downtown today. Maybe on the way south with other people so we can have fun. I decided to have my three exposed rolls of film developed in Ferndale- so I spent an hour riding in circles till it was done. It was a mistake to do it though, 'cuz it meant it was 8:00 by the time I got hereŠ barely time to pitch my tent and do supper before dark... I still don't know what to do with my life (part of my dream of what I was going to figure out with all that time alone) except that if I could just go on with this trip forever I'd be happy. But there are issues with that. Money mostly. I guess either I need a job that is at least partly biking, or I'll be working jobs to save for my next trip for a long time to come. Quote: "You're kidding. Really? My name is Black, too."- Linda Black at the photo lab I went to. Question: How will I respond to riding with others? i.e. Emotionally, mentally, physically... June 25th The Alders Home, Vancouver, BC, Canada Whoo hoo! The Numbers: Tot: 242:34 Dst: 2600 Trp: 56.13 Avs: 10.7 Max: 33.5 I'm still not quite believing that I'm done solo touring. But, here I am at Reanna and Corey's. I woke up to rain, so I got a late start again. The ride was enjoyable for the most part, although largely on busy roads and streets. I'm not sure why the ACA doesn't route you onto the Vancouver bike route system. It would be much pleasanter. The whole Pacific Coast route seems to be on busier roads... Border crossing was easy, although I think I took longer than the cars ahead of me. Of course they had WA and BC plates, so they probably had the routine down and were regulars. The bad news here is that Reanna won't be leaving with us. Her tendonitis is still bothering her too much. She is going to try to meet us in Astoria on the 14th... Quote: "Do you expect the weather to improve in Canada?"- The border guard's last question before wishing me an enjoyable stay. Question: How will Rick's speed and endurance compare to mine? June 27th, 12:20 AM Alder's This evening we went to Maya's (another friend from NBTSC who lives in Vancouver) 18th birthday party... We played Essence, a game in which one person leaves the room and one subject is selected, and then the one who doesn't know has to figure out who it is by asking questions like " If this person were a car, what kind of a car would they be?" I was described as Pasta with tomato sauce and vegetables; a fresh from the tree apple; an apple and an oak tree; a Birkenstock, well broken in; a folding chair that could be carried in a backpack; and an Eco- house...Of course I was wearing Cory's clothing which probably affected half the answers, since only three people in the room knew me beforehand. Once most of the people left we stayed another hour or so, along with one other girl- Jesse I think her name was. That was my favorite part of the party- just the five of us talking. Maya had us help her choose her Prom dress. Jesse is taking her to the prom... Reanna is planning to go bike shopping tomorrow to get a good upright...I might go along and give some non-salesman advice, but then again I could stay and help Cory panic. Quote: "Are you all right?"- Someone at the party after they heard how long I'd taken to get here and that I just got in last night. Question: Will Reanna be able to join us in ten days instead of 18? June 27th Alder's Good News.. We found Cory's wallet... Reanna went and bought a new bike today. I'm glad, but also I'm sort of feeling like Lydia at the party last night. When Reanna was talking about getting a new bike at some point she mentioned keeping her old upright, and Lydia shut her up by saying "I'm having class issues here". Same here. I mean I own at least three bikes, but only two of them are worth more than $25, and I didn't get either of them new. Just being able to go out and buy your second new bike in as many months... would be nice, but it feels good to know I've made it this far with less than the very best... (Later on Reanna was talking about selling her recumbent to pay for the new upright, so I came to a modified view of their wealth.) Cory and Reanna's grandma came over for dinner and asked all the usual questions. When she left she said she feels a lot easier about the trip after talking to me, so I guess I did some good. June 28th Alder's Ooh. Ah. Ow. Cory, Robert, and I went to the Homeschooler's soccer meet today- a bunch of Vancouver home schoolers who get together to play soccer once a week. Now I'm really sore. Luckily I think its different muscles from what I use to ride. The only really bad injury while I was playing was stepping in a low spot, and having my knee try to bend forward past lock, but that pain only lasted five minutes or less. Rick will be here at 11 am Tomorrow. Yayyyy! June 30th Alder's Rick is here! I guess now it's really sunk in that the solo trip is over, and we're embarking on a different sort of journey. Rick and Cory have a tendency to slip off into computer related conversations, which leave me utterly lost. By the time we reach Astoria I either will have learned to understand them or will be very ready for some real conversation... We went out to run more errands this afternoon. Rick fairly often forgot he was in city traffic- riding side by side, etc., but we'll get him retrained pretty quick. Reanna's new bike came home today. It's really sweet- light as a feather, and of course all new. I'm still really sore from soccer yesterday. It's hard to believe that I can be this sore. Quote: "Blink Blink Blink"- Rick and Cory. (a semi-inside joke among some NBTSCers having to do with geeks and good ideas, which has also been stolen by the rest of us to signify when someone's talk is starting to go way over your head). June 30th Alder's Started the day with computers, and ended with computers. We also compared loads, and still aren't sure why we have vastly different amounts. Cory's is similar to mine, only lighter, but Rick's is just two bags- and not even totally full! - I'm sure we'll figure out what he's missing eventually. (We never did find anything big enough to make up for it.) Evening was devoted to bike cleaning and maintenance. I was amazed at how much grease came off when I used my new chain lube and then wiped it down. Quote: " Five dollars to whoever can tell me what this tool is for." - Rick, about one of the features on his McGiver- the Swiss Army Knife of bike tools. ( It later turned out that it was intended as a fork to eat with!) The Numbers for the solo Trip Days: 55 Riding days: 42 Tot: 242:34 Dst: 2600 Avg/ day 43.33 Avg/ day without rest days: 55.32 Avg/ Hr: 10.72 Avg hrs/ Day: 4:02 Avg hrs/ Day without rest days: 5:10 Max: 41.8 Highest elevation: 5575 feet- Sherman Pass Longest day- miles: 89.24 (May 13th) Longest day- time: 8:48:39 (May 19th) July 1st Birch Bay state Park, WA The Numbers: Tot: 247:55 Tot, 2nd leg: 5:10 Dst: 2653 Dst, 2nd leg: 52 Trp: 51.5 Avg: 9.96 Stp: 5:09:22 Max: 34.0 I did take off my speedometer once and forgot to put it back on for several miles... Rick thinks we rode 60 miles... The trip was relatively uneventful.- Cory complained about the hills, Rick walked up some, I had to rest half way up the quarter mile of 13% grade. Patuello Bridge seemed tame today- I suppose because I had done it before. It felt like we spent less time in the city than I did riding in- maybe because I didn't have to stop and read my maps every few blocks, But I think the stop lights were friendlier too... Border crossing was painless- Cory had to see the Immigration people, while Rick and I had to answer the citizenship question, how we knew each other and what we were doing, and show ID. Also, we didn't even have to wait in line breathing exhaust- we were told to just go on up to the building. We wandered around Blaine for a while looking for a grocery store, only to find it right where we entered town. Rick had even seen it, but not known it was a grocery chain... Blaine's not a bad place to explore anyway. When we got here Rick and Cory remembered they needed white gas for their stoves, so Rick volunteered to ride back to the campground convenience store a mile down the road. Turns out they had never heard of it, so he had to go all the way back to the town of Birch Bay- four miles round trip. Supper was excellent- Pasta, Mushroom sauce, and some super Tomatilla salsa Rick made. A big improvement over my solo cooking. Today was the first time I've ever heard a dog really howl I think. Riding along Industrial Ave. in Surry, there was a Dalmatian tied up in a yard howling a real high mournful howl. At first I thought it was a wooden flute. Rick's training at 7000 feet is kind of negated by his fat tires- as a mater of fact he often lagged behind...Cory kept up with me except on hills most of the time. Quote: "We drive and bike." - Woman getting out of a car with bikes on the back in Blaine. July 3rd Bay View State Park, WA Yuck. Rained all day yesterday, raining again this morning. The Numbers: Tot, 2nd leg: 10:21 Dst, 2nd leg: 104 Since it was raining when we got up yesterday we decided to ride into Birch Bay for Breakfast. I was lobbying for the break camp first then go to breakfast theory, but we ended up riding five miles round trip on unloaded bikes- By the time we got back and loaded up it was noon- bad time to start a 47 mile day, especially for inexperienced riders. Of course it was the day we had reserved a campsite, so we had to do the miles. (It was Fourth of July weekend, so we had thought we ought to make sure we had a place to stay.) I hope Cory can handle 46 miles today... I wish it would stop raining for a while so we could at least take down our tents sort of dry. But I sort of enjoy being in my tent in the rain. Nice sound. I could enjoy it more if there wasn't so much condensation inside- especially in my sleeping bag. If Nick and Casey don't have a dryer I'll have to take it to a laundromat. Quote: "Can I rest here a minute. I'm coming down off an adrenaline rush."- Rick, after almost sliding off the road down a steep cliff, and swerving back on right in front of a car Question: Could Rick and Cory (not to mention me) handle riding Hwy. 20 more to cut off some miles? July 4th Nick Blanchard-Wright and Casey O'Haire's, Port Townsend, WA Egad- I'm surrounded by computer geeks. Actually not as much, since Nick and Noam left this morning. Casey isn't as bad if you can steer the conversation in the right direction... Yesterday we got a much more reasonable start- 10ish. It actually stopped raining about the time I got up and cleared up some by noon, making for a pleasant ride. It was still hard for Cory. He had to stop for a quick nap about five miles before the ferry. I think we've had more verbal abuse in the last three days than I had in the first two month. According to Rick and Cory, someone hollered at us to get our heads out of our asses, and someone screamed a blood-curdling scream at me. Also Rick had someone shave his elbow as they passed him. I'm glad we stayed off 20 as much as possible, because the other roads were much pleasanter. Lots of other bikers as well, although possibly worse hills. I enjoyed the view of the water a lot too. Today we crossed Deception Pass bridge, which is a very narrow bridge. We decided to walk across the sidewalk, which is separated from the road by a cable, and is also very narrow. There are also parking lots at either end of the bridge, and people like to stop and walk across the bridge to see the view. This being a holiday weekend, there were scads of tourists, and every time someone came along the other direction we had to stop and squeeze out bikes against the railing, and squeeze ourselves up against the bikes, and let them squeeze past sideways. We also had to watch out for mirrors on vehicles towing trailers on the road Another highlight of the day was a stop at a farm stand, for some of the best ice-cream ever, in homemade waffle cones- made right in front of your eyes, although you'd have to wait a while to get one you saw being made, since they have to cool down before they put the ice-cream in them. The last stretch before the ferry reminded me of home a bit -corn and hay fields, rolling hills .We lucked out and didn't have to wait too long for the ferry- It arrived a minute or two after us, so we just had to wait for it to unload, and load the cars... Everyone here stayed up really late last night - we didn't even eat dinner till midnight, which was strange considering we hadn't had a very big lunch, and hadn't eaten much since. I went to sleep while everyone else was still talking, with all the lights on, in the middle of the living room, only to be woken up when every one else came crowding around me to take a photo. I wish I'd stayed asleep- It's gonna be a horrible picture of me. I immediately went back to sleep when they were done. July 5th Nick and Casey's I think yesterday was one of the most fun days I've had since I left home. It started with breakfast at noon. Then we went for a long walk on the beach, which turned into an exploration of physics. First we found a long plank balanced on a driftwood log several feet off the ground, and spent quite some time exploring balance and leverage...Then we walked a little further and started throwing rocks. Not just into the water, but exploring how they bounced off other rocks. I got hit by ricocheting pebbles a few times as did Rick, but we continued anyway. Of course all we could do was throw them different ways, but soon we were discussing quantum physics, the theory of relativity, etc.... It was a pretty geeky conversation, but not about computers, so it didn't leave me out. Also, it was one of the best examples of how unschoolers learn I've seen in quite a while, although most of us at least sort of understood what was going on to start with. Somewhere along the line we came up with the idea that it would be cool to make a video series of physics explorations like that with explanations. In the evening we went out to watch fireworks. First we went up to North Beach, where a bunch of people were setting them off, and then we hiked up into Fort Worden, where from the top of a bunker we watched the fireworks across the sound. It was cool because there was no sound from the ones we could see across the water, just from the ones on the beach. Mostly all we could see were just little explosions of light , but it was fun anyway. The fort looks like it would be cool to explore during the day, although I doubt we'll get up there today. It was built during World Wars One and Two, and has several concrete bunkers scattered along the bluff. Being dark we didn't explore the inside of the bunkers- just made sure we didn't fall into them. The part of the fort that was housing and barracks is now a conference center Question: How long would it take me to adjust to living on the schedule this house seems to run on- Breakfast at noon, lunch at six, dinner at midnight, bed who knows when. July 5th Kitsap Memorial State Park, WA Today gets the prize for latest start- 4:00 PM. After a late breakfast, Rick and I went to the Co-op while Cory fixed a flat tire. Then we made stir fry and had lunch around 2 o'clock. Casey came home shortly after he had left for work- Day off for the Forth of July. After lunch we left and rode 32 miles. We were going to camp at Shine Tidelands State Park, but when we got there, there was a sign saying "Closed for the Winter". Someone else there told us that there had been a landslide, and the drinking water was out. He said we probably wouldn't be bothered if we wanted to stay, but boiling water from Hood Canal didn't appeal to us, so we rode the extra five miles across the Hood Canal Bridge- one and a half miles of floating bridge, with a drawbridge in the middle... To get to Shine Tidelands, we had to go down a hill that, in Rick's estimation, was probably at least a 20% grade. To get out I had to walk up. That's the first hill I've had to walk on the whole trip. Quote: " That's your secret- You just stash your energy bars and eat them when you ride ahead. You probably eat as many as Cory."- Rick on finding me eating a Cliff bar at the top of a hill. Question: If Cory were paying for all his energy bars, how much would he spend by the time we get to Eugene? He went through eight and a half today. (We were buying our food as a group and taking turns paying for it.) July 7th The Dapper-Johns', South end of Vashon Island, WA The Numbers: Tot, 2nd leg: 21:59 Dst, 2nd leg: 223 Good Early Start today- 9:30ish, I think. The Wait for the ferry in Bremerton was short but fun. There was a guy on a motorcycle, who told us all about his bicycle trip around Europe years ago, and a woman on a bicycle who has done a fair bit of touring... The Ferry from Seattle to Vashon was interesting. First of all it's a passenger only boat. They have racks for six unloaded bikes, and hooks for several more on the back. Since Loaded bikes take up extra room, and some people had already filled up one rack, Rick had to unload and hang his. Luckily they didn't kick us off the boat for having a gallon of Coleman fuel- just took it up to some forward locker and returned it at the end. They were in a big hurry to turn around at the end. Loaded before we were off and chewed us out for taking so long. It wasn't entirely our fault- The crew member at the back was adamant about all bikes remaining stowed until the boat stopped and the foot passengers were out of the way. Of course we had the bad luck to arrive at rush hour, so the boat was jammed. On the other hand we had fun talking to the other passengers, a lot of whom knew each other. (It seems like despite a fairly large population, people on Vashon know almost everyone else on the island.) ...I had to walk my bike again today. The road Caleb lives on takes a sharp hairpin turn off the main road, goes down a short hill, around a curve and immediately back up another steep grade. For some reason I didn't let my self get up much speed on the down hill, so if I had, and was in Granny gear to start with I might have made it. On the other hand Rick said he was doing 35 on the down hill, and he died about 15 feet up... The ride down Vashon from the north ferry dock to the very south end, where Caleb lives, was long, with several bad hills, but for the most part it was nice riding. Quote: "I'm sort of iffing out on this."- Cory after we'd been bragging about our ability to not have any leftovers, while looking at the pasta salad. We didn't manage to do it! July 8th Caleb's Yesterday we caught the bus up the island and hung out with Caleb in town for a while (he had gone up earlier for Drivers Ed.). First he took us to his "Second Home" where we hung out with all his friends for a while, and then we went and had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. By the time we were done we had missed not only the ferry we had planned to take to Seattle, but the next one as well. Luckily Risa wasn't too pissed off about having to wait two hours for us. Her mom came and picked us up and took us back to her house, because it was almost four, and she had to babysit her little brother while her mom went out, so we spent five hours sitting around talking about camp... Caleb, his mom, and his dance partner/ ex-girlfriend (as of yesterday) from Australia were in Seattle in the evening for a swing dance, so we joined them for the ferry ride back. The ride down the island was hilarious- four boys squeezed in the back, Nan and Jesse in the front, and the dog in the way back. Quote: "That's weird"- "What sort of weird?" -"5" (or 1,2,3,4,6,7,8)- everyone, the whole evening, because in the car we were discussing how there are two kinds of weird, and Jesse expressed about five or six more. July 8th Caleb's Today we were planning to ride to Olympia, but we had not planned a place to stay. I called Ana about 10:30, and she said she would have to ask her parents, who were out of the house at the moment, but she also gave me phone numbers for Brynne and Jade. Then I told Cory it was his turn to call, and he came down with an irrational fear of telephones, so we bugged him about it for almost an hour, before we decided to wait a day to leave, and that I would make the call. Actually his fear was more about calling up someone he barely remembered and asking for a place to stay. I'm not sure why I didn't just make the call. I guess I was trying to make Cory do some planning. Anyway, after we decided to stay... Ana's mom called back to say that tonight wouldn't work, but tomorrow would! Rick and I went back into town to go shopping, and managed to spend over $70! After dinner we went out to the studio and played around with recording stuff...(Caleb's dad is a drummer, and has a studio out in the garage.) Quote: "Hello. I'm an asshole. I'd like to talk to you for a few minutes."- Caleb, when Cory was needing inspiration to make the phone call. Question: Can we avoid riding on the I-5 tomorrow? July 10th Synodis', Olympia WA We missed the 10 AM ferry, so we had to wait around for the 11 O'clock one...Eating Strawberry- Rhubarb pie (ummmmmm.). Somehow it took us almost two and a half hours to get out of Tacoma. We were all feeling kind of lousy and not really into riding. As I think back it's about the way I felt the day I left Stuart's, with heat fatigue added. We ended up riding the I-5 for a few miles, and were quite happy to get off. We probably could have avoided it, but our map didn't show all the roads, and it was through the army base. (It was legal.) After that wind tunnel we managed to pick up speed a bit and actually got here at a reasonable time. In the evening Ana, and Rita Moore took us downtown to a punk concert...They were mostly going to see their friends play- we left before the second band finished. It was entertaining and I was actually kind of enjoying myself. I was also impressed that people were following the no smoking inside rule- One person lit up inside and the band yelled at them. Apparently there aren't many places in Olympia willing to host punk concerts. The Juvenile Delinquents, who were the band we went to see apparently gave their worst show ever. The lead singer was half drunk, and couldn't remember half the lyrics... Quote: "You realize that was the longest stretch where we've simultaneously went over 15 MPH, over 20 MPH and over 25 MPH?"-Rick, after the I-5 July 10th Centrallia, WA Ack! Surrounded by saggees! The Numbers: Max: 42 Yet another speed record! I don't know how I managed to do it today. I do know I was speeding- 42 in a 25 Zone! Luckily I didn't get caught. We didn't leave Ana's till after 1- we didn't even wake up till 10ish, and then we got hijacked to help move a massage table out of her parents' office... Cory apparently left his cycle computer at Synodis'.. But it was an excellent day for stuff on the side of the road. I found another wrench... and Cory found a cycle computer! Unfortunately it needs modification to work with his mounting bracket. The ride was excellent once we worked our way out of the city and its steep hills. Rick and Cory are definitely stronger riders than they were a week ago. They're managing to keep up at 15 MPH over extended distances... OK- enough suspense. The saggees. Our wonderful sense of scheduling put us here the same night as the STP, a huge, two day, sagged ride from Seattle To Portland. Luckily we found a quiet corner of the park, and we haven't been bugged too much. Talking to that sort of rider is actually kind of hard, because unless they've done our type of touring, they don't really have any idea how much more work it is. Several people figured two days from Vancouver. (Maybe they were thinking Vancouver, WA?) I'm not sure even an average unloaded rider could do that. 100 mile days are dreaming for any of us. Certainly some people do long days with loads, but not me. (Proving myself wrong, I rode 102 miles with a full load on May 19th, 2000) My major annoyance of the day- the hook on one of my rear panniers broke. Luckily we were still at Ana's and after rummaging through their junk closet I found a small corner bracket which I bent to replace it. Quote: "Her lawn is like a six inch thick sponge, and I'd be pushing the washing machine around..." - Rick, getting his words confused. Question: Why would anyone want to do something like STP? July 11th Seaquest State Park, Castle Rock, WA The Numbers: Tot, 2nd leg: 32:28 Dst, 2nd leg: 340 Trp: 51.35 Avs: 11.34 Max: 44.2 Two consecutive days with new speed records! Once again it was nearly 1 O'clock before we got moving today... Once we were packed up we discovered that Rick's tire was flat. It had sprung a leak yesterday, but his Slime had done it's job and sealed the hole. Apparently he left it parked with the hole up and all the slime drained down overnight... Then we stopped for groceries after two miles, and then lunch after six more. ...Lots of climbs and long downhills... It was only the last five miles or so where Rick and Cory started lagging...Caleb was right when he told us it was downhill to Portland- It seems like we have more, longer downs than ups. The Hiker-Biker sites here are very nice. A path through the woods leads to four scattered sites away from the regular sites. Water is a ways away, and the showers were a challenge after dark, but hey- RV's are annoying... Rick made rice, and sun-dried tomato-mushroom soup for supper. He managed to screw up the rice and burn it, but the unburned part was good. Quote: "Hey- you're off route."- Several people who though we were with STP. Question: Can Rick and Cory be trained to keep a cleaner campsite? July 12th County Line Park, Cowlitz/ Wahkiakum county line, WA Late start again, with shopping and lunch after only a few miles. (This is starting to get on my nerves.) Long climb- about 6%, over a mile long. Easy by pass standards, and not a hard climb, but definitely long enough. I stopped halfway up for Cory's sake. We stopped in Cole Creek for water and ice-cream, and left our names and addresses. Supposedly the owner will send out Christmas cards to all the bikers who stop there- HA HA says the cashier. She also told us about the family from Vermont on the bicycle built for four that Grammy told me about. She didn't know much 'cuz she'd had to turn off the sound on the TV during the report. (Surprisingly, I did get a Christmas card from the Cole Creek General Store last Christmas.) County Line Park is cool- camping on the beach along the Columbia River, ocean going ships passing, yet still obviously a river. Cooking on the beach was interesting. There is no table in our site, so we used rocks and stumps, and still managed to get sand in everything. The only problems with our camp site are being right below the highway, and having to push our bikes through sand and another campsite to get to it. The people in the site next to us parked on the road, and lowered everything down the 15-20 foot bank with a pulley system- except I think they carried the barbecue grill around. They were definitely the bring everything including the kitchen sink type of campers. Quote: "Totograph. Is that the measure of how much not in Kansas you are?" - Me. Question: Can I really Get Cory up by 8:30? July 14th Fort Stevens State Park, OR The Numbers: Tot: 283:18 Tot, 2nd leg: 40:33 Dst: 3029 Dst, 2nd leg: 428 Trp: 54.58 Avs: 10.59 Stp: 5:09:11 Max: 30.9 Record early start for the group yesterday. Cory got up by himself at 7:30 and we were riding by 9! The downside of County Line Park was that the beach was invaded by fishing people at sunrise. They weren't loud, but they were a presence. The first part of the ride was pleasant- the ferry over the river was a nice small one, and while we were fishing around for money, the deck hand told us that a couple of girls had come over the day before, headed for San Francisco, and mentioned something about Eugene. That sort of got us wondering if Sarabeth and April were for some reason coming down from that direction. If so they're not here yet. We did run into another pair of women, who we played leap frog with all day, and who are now camped next to us. About 15 miles before Astoria, I broke a spoke. Of course I never did get a wrench big enough for my freewheel tool, and Rick and Cory had kept on going when I stopped, so I was stranded by the side of the road until they came back. Neither one of them had one big enough either, so Rick unloaded and rode to the gas station half a mile back. The first time he ran into the two women, and came back to see if they had a tool that would work. They didn't, so he went back again. There were no tools for sale, but they loaned him a big crescent wrench, so he had to go back a third time to return it. Then about 10 miles down the road, Cory had a low tire. We stopped and pumped it up, but when we reached town, it was flat again. He and Rick stopped at a grocery store to shop and fix the tire, while I rode on in search of a bike shop. Both bike shops in town were open, but the first one was booked up (real helpful for a touring cyclist...) and the mechanic had gone home at the second one, so I'll have to ride ten miles back to town in the morning to get my wheel trued. After I went back to meet Rick and Cory, we got about ten blocks, before Cory's tire blew out again. It was discovered that his tire is actually too big for the rim. I can stick two fingers between the rim and the tire with ease. I then tried to beat it into shape- literally banging on the tire where the bead was trying to escape from the rim. The first try failed after a couple of blocks, but we caught it before the tube failed, and I finally managed to make it stay! Cory still doesn't want to ride back to town tomorrow to get a new tire, so I guess we'll just have to somehow carry the wheel... forget it! Quote: "Thank you for being the cool one when my tire blew out."-Cory. July 15th Fort Stevens St. Park, OR Sarabeth and April actually got here!!! (No, it was not them on the ferry). Yesterday we rode back into Astoria, and had my wheel trued and Cory got a new (touring) tire for his sub-standard 700c wheel. It's still a little too loose, by touring tire standards, but it fits much tighter than the old one. We had one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten for lunch. An extra large pesto pizza, with mushrooms, jalepenos, feta cheese... If it weren't for Rick I don't think we would have finished it. The last few miles of the ride back into the park were the biggest pun war we've had yet... (Rick enjoys swapping puns in a high speed war of wits.) Also camped next to us tonight is Seth, a weed smoking, dreadlocked, cyclist. We had been planning to cook a big welcome feast for Sara and April, but they cooked there own supper- probably a good thing, since they were starving, and were practically done eating before we even started. April and Cory stayed up well past midnight talking, yet Cory's actually awake now!!! Question: How in the world did Cory's tire manage to last nearly 500 miles before it started causing problems? July 15 Nehalem Bay State Park, OR The Numbers: Dst, 2nd leg: 502 Girls. Hmph. OK OK. I'm exaggerating. We had lots of fun. It's just that Sarabeth was extra slow today, due to cramps and PMS. The town of Seaside was kind of a zoo. It felt like Coney Island of something- touristy stores and restaurants, and midway rides. We rode a few blocks down the promenade to get out of the worst crowds and eat lunch. Then we stopped in Cannon Beach for groceries and had to face similar crowds- only with a western feel this time- false fronts instead of neon. We made the mistake of going to the third exit for Cannon Beach, and having to ride back through town, over a nice big hill with switchbacks to find a fairly mediocre store. Actually I'm not sure why it seemed mediocre- it had lots of organic produce, and all sorts of other health food type stuff like soy milk and nondairy ice cream. The tunnel we went through today was 200% better than the one I went through back in the Cascades. Longer and uphill, but lighted... I thought it was a little tricky riding- the roadway felt a little slick to me- but I haven't asked anyone else's opinion. This is probably the best hiker biker site yet. Secluded in a thicket of scrub pine, yet right near the roads. Quote:" Oh no. My toothbrush is infested."- April "With what?"- Sarabeth "Dr. Bronner's" -April July 17th Pacific City, OR The Numbers: Tot, 2nd leg: 53:11 Yesterday was a bad wheel day. First about two miles down the road, I lost another spoke. I got the wheel quite a bit truer this time. Good thing, since both bike shops between there and Corvallis are closed down. After lunch we rode about 15 or 20 miles before I managed to hit a sharp rock and blow out my front tire.- Huge gash in the side wall. While I fixed that, every one else was picking raspberries and feeding me handfuls while I worked. Another 5 or 10 miles down the road, we stopped to go down onto the beach, and when we came back to our bikes, Cory's front tire was flat. I stayed to "help" him fix it, while every one else rode on into town to shop, because it was nearly dark by then. I actually did most of the work, because I figured I was probably faster at it. I did manage to put the tire back on before remembering to check for sharp objects embedded in it. It was a good thing we took it back off to look, because there was a pin stuck in there really good. We stayed up not too late talking to the guys camped in there RVs here. They're locals, full of stories, and I really enjoyed listening to them spin their yarns. The older one grew up in Iowa, and has been in every state except Alaska as a trucker. The other guy is a welder/ mechanic. He told us his stupid gas tricks story. Apparently not too long ago he managed to hit a full LP(?) tank with an acetylene torch, and blew out the side of the building, moved a section of railroad track over several feet, and barely escaped with his eye when a piece of metal embedded itself in his cheek... Quote: "A beautiful forest is one you never saw."- My response to a forest fire prevention sign reading "A beautiful forest is matchless," which I saw right next to a recent clear-cut. Question: Will my wheel last to Corvallis?- I went and named it Pringle wheel, due to the fact that my imperfect truing leaves it cupped like a Pringle's potato chip, and April pointed out that the Pringle's slogan is "Once you pop you just can't stop". July 17th Beverly Beach State Park, OR The numbers: Tot: 300:45 Dst, 2nd leg: 608 Today was a little bit exiting. First we climbed over a big mountain- switch backs and all- . On the way down Cory and April were riding no hands. April quit after Sara told her to, But no one ever bugged Cory. I was going to give him a lecture, but I let the opportunity slip... After lunch we went looking for a restroom, and ended up in a casino. The atmosphere was very strange and other worldly- scary to the max. I think it was Rick who called it the "stupid people taxation center". It wasn't even very glitzy- just kind of a fancy chain motel feel from the carpet and escalators, and all the glass doors and fake plants and fountains. Cory has hatched a plot to not pay for another Pepsi product for several months- he discovered that if you tilt the bottle just right you can see the underside of the lid, and find out if it's a winning bottle in the current contest. (Unfortunately he eventually came to a store with no winning bottles in stock, or lost his winning cap, or something. We stopped at a wayside and spent over an hour doing cartwheels, joking, writing, and trying to decide where to camp. After we left we climbed about a third of the way up a big hill before Cory discovered he'd left his water bottle behind. Surprisingly he caught up with us at the bottom of the other side of the hill. We're planning to hit the road at 7:30 tomorrow, stopping in Newport for Breakfast, and then riding to Corvallis. It's gonna be a long, hard day, but I think we can make it. Sara may leave us at some point so she can get there by 5 to have dinner with Erica. She actually was planning to leave at 8, so I talked the guys into 7:30 so we might be ready to go when she is. Oh yes- Seth showed up again today. We got to know him a little better, but I hope our week in Eugene is enough for him to get far ahead of us. Quote: "You guys have too much energy." Question: How many mountains between here and Corvallis? July 19th Hauck's, Corvallis, OR The Numbers: Trp: 60.99 Yesterday was probably the hardest day since the day we left Vancouver. Four big hills in 61 miles. I would guess we climbed a total of about 2000 feet, small hills included. We didn't quite make it by 5, but Sara rode with us the whole way anyway. We actually managed to get on the road by 8 AM! We ate breakfast on a bench outside the Safeway in Newport, and were on our way again by 9:45... We stopped for water in Blogget, and probably stayed over an hour after we discovered they had ice-cream. Shortly after we arrived here Erica arrived with a surprise- The Jakes!!! (Jake Matilsky, Sara and April's brother, and Jake O'Haire are both NBTSC veterans, and best buddies.) Quote: "I'm somewhere outside Salt Lake City."- Jake M, on what we're supposed to say if anyone asks where he is. He was not signed up to be at camp until very recently and he wants to surprise some people. Question: Where are we staying tonight, and how long will it take to ride from Eugene to Lost Valley? July 19th Eugene, OR I saw Grace, I saw Grace, I saw Grace... (Grace Llewellyn is the director of NBTSC) HOT HOT HOT. Today was a scorcher. Sarabeth said she was leaving at 9:30, but then she found the piano, and didn't actually leave till about 11, with April and Me. Rick and Cory didn't leave until 2 and got here about 9:30, both well burnt. If you ignore the heat the ride was pleasant. At one point my average was up over 12 MPH! We took a small road between 99E and 99W, so the traffic was light most of the way. As we were finishing lunch a couple guys pulled in on bikes headed the other direction. One had no load, and the other had a frame backpack strapped on behind the seat on his Bike-e recumbent... Once we got into Eugene, I left Sara and April and stopped at the Red Barn natural food store to ask for directions to the Youth Hostel. Of course I couldn't resist some ice cream, and while I ate it Grace drove in... Surprisingly she isn't totally stressed out yet! The Hostel is a really cool place. Lots of different kinds of people living together and coming and going. Obviously some have been here for a while. Question: Is two and a half hours long enough to ride to LVEC? July 20th Lost Valley Education Center, Dexter, OR Yeeha! I left Rick and Cory still asleep in Eugene at 7:30 to ride out here for the NBTSC staff meeting. It was an excellent ride except for the one and a half miles of freeway, broken spoke and road construction delays. The freeway was not as much fun as Tacoma to Olympia, more trash and gravel to dodge... The broken spoke was no big deal. I didn't even get stressed out about it. I've got it down to a ten minute operation now. I intentionally left it a little off true, so I can do a wheel truing demo if I do a bike repair workshop...While I was fixing the wheel, Grace drove by and stopped. I managed to pawn my tent and sleeping bag off on her, so my load was lighter for the rest of the ride. Road construction delay just meant I had heavy traffic to deal with after a short wait ... I get to share a room with Forest and Caleb, in an otherwise all girls dorm. That will be interesting, what with Caleb's unexplained attractiveness to camp girls. Mavis and Hannah, the two other jr. staff are bound to make this a great week. They are some of my favorite camp people- among those I missed last year when we weren't at the same session. Quote:" If I don't see you again before you leave, ride safely, and god bless you."- The old guy sharing my room at the hostel. Question: How can I be in bed a 11:00 PM at NBTSC? July 22 LVEC Camp is underway. Yesterday morning was fairly quiet and un-stressful, except that Taber got very sick (food poisoning?) at about 5 AM, and I woke up to the sound of him erupting in the bathroom across the hall. I didn't get much more sleep after that. I got to spend the afternoon sitting in the airport getting campers organized to get back to camp. Using vans instead of busses to transport them was a nightmare. A seven passenger van really only holds six, plus the driver, and squeezing in number seven didn't work too well because of luggage. The plan to do it in three van loads didn't quite work, which was a good thing in a way because the time frame didn't quite work either. Sarabeth had to come get the last camper and I, and some extra luggage, saving Nate an extra trip in to get me, since it ended up that the car rental place closed before we were done with the vans. July 23rd LVEC I stayed up way too late last night dancing. I guess there was a reasonable balance of music struck- A fair amount of swing, mixed with lots of other stuff. The worst was Bugs Bunny and friends sing the Beatles. There are some pretty good swing dancers here...Ruti was impressed with my leading, being one of those girls who end up leading 90% of the time. July 23rd LVEC Ryland and I did a bike repair class. A surprising number of people showed up, and we didn't get finished, but I do know that I need to get the freewheel side of my wheel respoked, and the front hub bearings repacked. I'll probably have a bike shop do that. The meeting about the San Francisco trip was good, although I'm actually starting to think about backing out. I'm having some pretty intense homesickness. I' really want to go on, but I feel like the trip would be complete if I quit here... I think doing the solo trip and coming to camp were the important things for me. The rest of the trip would just be for fun, and all the trouble it's going to be to make decisions with a large group seems like a lot of work, and getting back on my bike doesn't even sound like fun... I guess I started to realize this during the meeting- I sort of stayed out of the conversation, and didn't really care one way or another on most fronts. Trying to figure out what I'm feeling kind of made for a lousy afternoon. I went to a singing workshop, which was fun, but I was kind of out of it for other more intense discussions and the staff meeting. July 25th LVEC Yesterday was one of the hardest days I've had mentally since I left home. I had trouble participating in camp fully... Several hugs helped, but holding a real conversation was still hard. A nap in the afternoon helped some, but Caleb and Stuart came up to have a conversation on the stairs, and were soon followed by a bunch of people looking for Caleb, so it wasn't very restful for very long... Talking about my problems in several different groups helped some, and although I'm still not sure about the rest of the trip, I'm not as depressed any more. July 26th LVEC Yesterday was Sunday, so we had a sort of spiritual sharing time this morning. It was billed as being based on Quaker meeting, but since most of the people who came are not Quaker, it kind of got out of hand from a Quaker perspective- very little silence between sharings, a few people dominating... In the afternoon I led a workshop for people to share travel stories. It went much better than I expected- people came and shared, and we could have gone on longer. In the evening the first major disciplinary problem in the four years camp has existed came out. Apparently several campers had snuck out and gone to a rave the first night, along with several other things like vandalism, and marijuana use. That made for a very intense evening, both in the staff meeting, and later when those involved had to get up and apologize to the group. There are a lot of hard feelings going around now, and differences of opinion about how wrong what they did was... Quote: "And we drove and drove and drove and drove and..."- Charlie's travel story (in part) July 26th LVEC I got a haircut today. Its been a long time since I had hair this short. Lydia's a pretty good barber. I might have to start going to Vancouver ever few months just to get a haircut. ...One of the best acts in the talent show tonight was Kate L. who got up and had her poetry read by several people who don't have laryngitis. Also about half of camp got up and tried to sing Hey Jude... Quote: "Oh my god. I didn't even recognize you!"- Everyone, after my haircut. July 28th LVEC Yesterday afternoon we had a Community meeting about the Rave/ Vandalism/ etc. issue, which was started with the simple question "Who broke the window?" (which we never did find out). Somehow in the course of talking to people about it, Grace and Taber discovered all the other stuff. I came to the meeting feeling ready to forgive, but that's not how it ended up. One of the five "problem" campers didn't see how any of what he had done was wrong, and refused to apologize, and called the rest of them liars, and made a lot more people mad at him I think. I guess I have to admire him for sticking up for what he believes. Any other camp would have kicked them out as soon as they discovered the problem, and not doing so on the one hand makes me proud to know and work with Grace and her concern for trying to heal a torn community, and on the other hand makes me wonder what kind of message it sends that they didn't get kicked out, and what it would take for her to send someone home. July 29th Eugene, OR Yesterday was a good but exhausting day. I was still running around doing my job as camp treasurer, collecting money from people when the busses arrived an hour early. We made them wait so we could take the group photo. The bus ride into town has to be the liveliest post camp bus ride I've ever seen, so sitting at Greyhound for five hours was kind of a downer, but I got to hang out with Ryland for a while...The last three campers to leave got a bus an hour earlier than planned, so I walked up to Maury Jacobs Park and attended a short bit of staff meeting. While walking I passed a school bus loaded to the gills with old bikes and bike parts. It was a pretty amazing sight. The staff meeting wasn't real interesting, and I was more than happy to get on my bike and ride down to Monroe Park to tell the people waiting for their ride to the motel to meet there later. I also got drafted to stop and order a pizza for the staff meeting. Everyone staying in Eugene had been planning to go out for supper, but when 20 of us showed up on the sidewalk outside the cafe, we decided to go have a picnic in the Rose Garden instead. Quote: "Fort Lauderdale is the Vatican. As a mater of fact I wouldn't be surprised if all of Florida is the Vatican..."- Crazy woman in the bus station talking to the invisible person in the chair next to her. Question: When was the last time there were this many people in the Hostel? July 30th Eugene, OR Yesterday we dropped our laundry off at the laundromat and then went out for breakfast. After breakfast I had to drop my bike off at a bike shop to have them respoke the rear wheel, etc., so Rick picked up my laundry for me. Somewhere between when I put it in the wash this morning and when I folded and re packed it back here my $40 cycling jersey disappeared. Most of the rest of the day was spent saying goodbye to people, as the crowd gradually diminished and headed for their far flung homes. At 11 o'clock last night most of us met up at a theater to see The Matrix. Considering I usually don't particularly like movies with lots of guns and helicopters and karate, I thought it was a pretty good movie. 11 was too late though- It was 2 when we got back, and I got up at 7 to make sure Cory caught his train. I've now ridden at night. It was actually kind of fun, but it'd be hell with a load. My major gripe about movies is that it's not a great way to have quality time with people- you just sit in the dark and then go home. Quote: "Don't gossip about me."- Brianna as she left after we'd been discussing gossip. July 31st Eugene, OR Yesterday about 20 of us (the nine of us biking on, a bunch of Eugene natives, and just about everyone else from Camp who's still in Eugene) went out to a pick-your-own blueberry farm. We picked about 8 two gallon buckets full, and those of us staying here brought back about one and a half buckets full. 30 hours later they're still not quite all gone. When we got back, we all went out for pizza, and I went and retrieved my bike. $94 later my bike is in great shape- the front wheel rolls, the chain doesn't skip, and hopefully I won't pop any more spokes Today we went to Saturday market. We spent basically the whole day hanging out eating good food, and a bunch of camp people who are around here but have managed to remain hidden for the last few days (e.g. Grace and Taber) showed up, as well as several people I haven't seen in even longer (like almost a year). My faith in Humanity had a boost when I lost my wallet, and it was there with all the money and everything when I went to ask about a lost and found at the Info booth. Staying at the Hostel has been fun, with both people I know, and an extended stay to get to know other guests. There are at least four other cyclists here tonight... Quote:" Life takes its toll. Bring change."- Bumper sticker on a bike here. August 1st Mapleton, OR The Numbers: Avs: 11.56 This morning eight of us left the hostel at about 10. For the first part of the day, we were kind of split up- I went off to see if my jersey was still at the laundromat (it wasn't) and Rick and Justin stopped at Harmony's to leave Justin's backpack for storage, etc. I caught up before the main group got out of town, but Rick and Justin didn't catch us till lunch. At one point during the morning April's chain came off shortly after we all passed her, and we rode almost a mile before we realized she wasn't behind us, so I rode back and showed her how to put it back on the derailleur. Later on Melissa's Bob trailer tire needed air, at which point I rode ahead to catch Forest and Jason and find a lunch stop. I was doing 16 mph uphill to catch them! We stopped in a hayfield only to discover that Rick had two of our three loves of bread, and most of the other lunch stuff too. Luckily they caught up before we were ready to leave. From then on we mostly did lunches as an on your own thing, or in groups of two or three, stopping at the store and getting it as we were ready for lunch, rather than trying to all get together. While we were stopped for lunch a group of five cyclists going the other direction stopped to talk. That was quite a sight- 13 bikes by the side of the road. After lunch I started riding in back with the slow people because they also are the ones whose mechanical abilities I'm not sure about . I don't plan to do this all the way to SF, but for the first day or two... I helped Reanna fix a flat part way through the afternoon. She has super tight tires, and it took three tries to get it to hold air. First we pinched the tube putting it back, and then that patch didn't hold. All in all it took over half an hour. We had another tunnel today. I'm trying to decide whether the people honking were doing it to hear it echo, or to harass us. When Reanna and I caught up with everyone else they had reached Mapleton, and were sitting in a parking lot next to a produce stand eating peaches and ice cream. It was the end of the day, and the guy at the produce stand gave us a bunch of free sweet corn, along with a bunch of other stuff like almost rotting tomatoes which made one of the best pasta sauces I've ever had. Question: Do I want to consider riding on south after San Fran? (Now wasn't that a pretty radical about face?) August 3rd Jesse M. Honeyman state Park, Florence, OR For several miles west of Mapleton we had what I would count as one of the top ten worst shoulders of my trip- Nice and wide but extremely rough and bumpy. At one point, I think after crossing the railroad tracks, the bag of peaches and plums I had tied onto one of the bungees holding my tent and stuff on slid down and dragged on my wheel. It took me a good half mile to realize what the wet stuff spraying my leg was Rick and I stopped at the grocery store last thing before we left Florence, and bought supplies for stir fry for every one, not to mention stuff for lunch. Rick then refused to let me carry any of it! Somehow he managed to fit it all on his bike! Did I mention that Rick bought a Wok before we left Eugene? His bike's official name for the rest of the trip was the Wokmobile. August 3rd Honeyman State Park, OR Reanna, Melissa, Jason, Forest, and I hiked across the dunes to the beach...The strangest thing we saw was a kid, probably no older than about eight, driving a 4 wheeler ATV over the dunes. We had sandwiches on the beach and then I went up and down the beach collecting sand dollars, which I threw back onto the ocean like Frisbees last thing before we left. I think of all the people on this trip Reanna and I have the most interests in common to make conversation on, and we walk and ride at about the same speed if we want to, without cramping each other's style. When we got back we all jumped into the lake. Much warmer than the ocean... Rick made tacos for dinner, with TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) filling- Jason even admitted that it was edible! Sarabeth and Jeff finally got here about seven o'clock. (Sara had stayed behind when we left Eugene, because her fiancee, Jeff, was flying in to join us, but couldn't come till the 2nd. That's why we waited a day here) Some of us went over to the amphitheater to watch a church youth group perform...Rick actually went up to the sound man after the show, and told him how to arrange the speakers better. All their songs were really cheesy and we could barely control our laughter from over on the side where we were watching. A few snide comments passed between us as well. They reminded me very much of my 4-H club, and I realized that I don't want to spend the rest of my life living with that type of people as my local community. Quote: "We're being attacked"- Me as about 15 dune buggies and ATVs came zooming down the beach toward us. Question: How can you take a small child with you on a three wheeler, let alone let a kid drive an ATV (especially since he was getting left behind all the time)? August 5th Lakeside, OR The Numbers: Dst, 3rd leg: 102 Yesterday was one of the most miserable days I've had yet. It started out good-out of the campground by ten, and good speed- but I've come down with the Camp Cold now, and by lunchtime I was ready to crash. I might have been OK if I hadn't waited around in the cold wind for 20 minutes for the rest of the group. I got out my stove to make lunch for the only time on the entire trip today, to make myself some hot pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon tea... The second long climb was pretty hard. I made it, but was glad of a rest at the view point at the top. None of us was very impressed with the view. Everyone was supposed to meet in Lakeside, but apparently Justin and Jason, who were way ahead, missed the turn and rode several miles before they realized it, and Melissa did the same thing, only turned back when they passed her returning. I missed the whole drama because I had a flat just before town and rode in last. Somehow luck was on my side this time- it happened right in front of a gas station with an air hose. We ended up staying in the RV park here because Forest, Jeff, Reanna and I were about to bonk. (Official cyclist slang for run out of energy) Quote: "I see you've got a safety talisman."- April, to a guy who stopped at the view point with us who had his helmet hanging from his handlebars. August 5th Bullards Beach State Park, Bandon, OR I was the second to last to leave the campground this morning, leaving almost an hour before Jason. Somehow I still managed to be the second one here without seeing anyone else except Justin who left with me, but quickly got ahead when my chain threw. The bridge into North Bend was long and steep. I walked over, but apparently some people tried to ride, and were told to walk by the flag lady for the construction crew working on the bridge. (They were painting I think.) Sara and Jeff said that the flag lady said something like "Oh that must have been your daughter who rode through a little while ago," so when they got to the end and Jeff said "Whew, do I feel like Mr. Tension," Sara said" Yeah, and I'm Mrs. Tension and our daughter Tension is up ahead." (Sara and April were constantly being mistaken for mother and daughter, or stranger yet, twins!- Sara's a good foot and a half taller.) While eating lunch in a city park in Newport I saw a Head Start preschool group out for a walk. I was kind of shocked at the language the teacher was using- I don't think I heard the word Yes used once the entire time they were in earshot- just lots of "No, we don't walk on the grass, No, we're not picking up sticks on this walk..." I wanted to go tell the guy off, but didn't. After lunch I rode towards Charlston. Part way there my chain threw again, and after the third try to put it back, broke, which pissed me off, because I just had it replaced in Eugene. Luckily I've got the tool to fix the chain, but having never used it before I had to learn on the roadside. A guy named Eric stopped to see if I needed any help, and I managed to catch up with him a few miles later, so we rode together to here more of less, I dropped back a few times, but usually caught up on the hills, 'cuz he hurt his knee back in Sandpoint, and has been walking up the worst hills since then. I caught him the first time at the top of the first of the Seven Devils- a very high hilly stretch of road we took. It's on the mapped route, so I guess most cyclists take it, but staying on 101 sounds faster and flatter. Luckily only the first ascent is really really long. The final descent was interesting. They were laying fiber-optic cable and had the road closed down to one lane for a couple miles, with a pilot car leading people through. We had to wait ten minutes for the car, and then follow the other vehicles. We didn't manage to keep up all the way, but for the first part I had to use my brakes to keep back. The flag woman for that stretch was interesting. After we got down I managed to break another spoke. It was on the non freewheel side, but I decided to do what Justin had suggested and just wrap it around another spoke since I only had three or four miles to go. It turned out that I had to take the freewheel off anyway to get the spoke in, so I'm glad I tried that. Quote: "Now we look both ways. Do we see any cars coming? No, just a bicycle. Now we cross the street."- the Head Start teacher. Question: Which has worse traffic, Saturday or Sunday? August 6th Gold Beach, OR Yuck. Rained for several hours. All wet. The Numbers: Dst: 3560 Dst, 3rd leg: 213 Trp: 67.18 Stp: 6:07:54 Today started off on the right foot when I got everything but my tent packed before breakfast. It quickly went wrong when I opened up the front pocket of my food pannier and discovered hazelnut butter spilled all over. I cleaned up as much as I could with English muffins, and then a rag, but it's still gross. Everyone but Jason was out of the campground by 9:00, and enjoying the early morning coastal fog. At the point where the route rejoins 101 I stopped to wait for April, who was a ways behind. I wasn't sure if she wanted to ride alone, but I thought I should wait because she was kind of far behind for so early in the morning. She caught up quickly and passed without stopping. However about 100 yards down the road she slipped off the edge of the pavement and wiped out. I was glad I had waited at that point. Someone stopped to see if we needed help, and then stopped and told Sara, Jeff, and Forest that someone had crashed. By the time they came back I had gotten the bike off of her, and she had recovered enough to move herself off the shoulder and wipe out her scrapes. I think she was almost ready to go when Sara came and made a big big-sisterly fuss over her and delayed getting moving. Forest and I stopped for lunch in Langlois, which had a darn good store for a town of 50- organic salad mix, two kinds of tofu...We passed Sara, April and Jeff in Sixes, where they stopped for lunch, and rode mostly non-stop to here. We stopped for an occasional breather, to don raingear, and to fix a flat. The last 20 miles or so before Gold Beach were on a road a couple miles inland from 101, and was very beautiful. There was one long, shallow hill, followed by an equally long shallow down hill. I was hoping we could coast all the way back to 101, but no such luck. The rain was a bummer. I didn't mind riding in it, but we were cold and wet when we got here. Forest and I went looking for a cheap motel but all the motels in town are either full or rather expensive. We ended up camping at the fair grounds, on a rocky parking lot. Only Forest, Melissa, Jason, Reanna, and I made it this far. Apparently Reanna and April were riding together, when Sara decided it was too foggy and got someone in a car to give her a ride and kidnap April back to Port Orford. Once I got my tent set up I went to the laundromat to dry my sleeping bag. Everyone else came a few minutes later and we went to dinner at the Mexican restaurant next door. My sleeping bag took forever to dry, despite the fact that the dryer's low setting was still extremely hot. I did wash it first, so it was wringing wet, but... Question: How long do we wait tomorrow before we call other people's parents to find out if they know where they are? August 8th Gold Beach, OR Yesterday was another rainy yucky day. We all sat around in our individual tents till about 10, and then went and had a conference in the Women's Room. Apparently Melissa had gone to the bathroom at about 5 Am, and when she came back to her tent the zipper got stuck, so she lay there with the rain coming in on her for about five hours, till she heard some signs of life. I know I'd gotten up to go to the bathroom a couple times in that period, so I don't know what the deal was there. Also she and Jason have tents that have to be staked down to stand up, which didn't work so well in a rocky parking lot. Then we went and walked down the street, soaking our pants in the process, to have breakfast at the Golden Egg. The food was good and filling for the non-vegans among us. While we were eating, Eric, who we had met in the hostel in Eugene, walked in. He told us that Rick and Justin had stayed with Sarabeth and Co. Since it was our planned layover day, the weather was lousy, half our group was still in Port Orford and probably not going to ride in the lousy weather, and we were all soaked, we decided to look for a motel again. The City Center, which had quoted us $38 for two people the night before, gave us their two bedroom, kitchen, living room suite for $75 for the five of us, which comes to $18 each with tax. Unfortunately we turned the TV on and didn't get any of the other stuff we'd planned to do done. I didn't even get around to finding out what got wet. Quote: "Oregon's a big state with curvy roads, and I've been taking it slow."- One end of Eric's phone conversation that we overheard. (His whole attitude towards biking just seemed to me to make that seem like a strange thing to say- he kind of was like the Energizer Bunny- liked to keep going and going.) August 9th Gold Beach, OR Yesterday somehow we managed to get out of the motel room by checkout time, and then went and did laundry again. Then we had a picnic on the grass in front of some building by the highway at about 3:00, and enjoyed basking in the sunshine. The missing troops finally showed up at abut 4:30. They said they had stopped at all the overlooks. We're back at the fairgrounds now, in a more pleasant location on a grassy bank next to the bathrooms. While the sun was still out it was pretty pleasant. After we put our tents up Reanna and I went for a long walk on the beach... I found a dead salamander and brought it back to put on the picnic table to try to freak people out. Didn't work. By the time we got back from our walk visibility was at the lowest I've seen it since we got here on Friday night. The fog just rolled in and enveloped everything. I hope it burns off before long because I'm sick and tired of Gold Beach. Quote: "Why didn't we go here the other night? You know, the time we went to that terrible wet place."- Forest. August 10th Harris Beach State Park, Brookings, OR The fog finally lifted about noon yesterday and we got moving. I stopped at a bank to cash my wet, torn, travelers check. Then I caught up with Forest and rode with him for the rest of the day. It was still a little foggy and gray all day, so our only major stop was for lunch. We saw one cyclist carrying only a large backpack. Crazy. About the most exiting thing all day was going out in search of Melissa at 8 O'clock. Luckily she'd just been riding slow and we found her at the park entrance. Quote: "What happens if you take iron and Viagra both at once? Stand up straight and point north."-Justin's awful humor. August 11th Del Norte Coast State Park, Crescent City, CA!!! Another state! And the first one on this trip I've never been to. The Numbers: Tot: 339:43 Tot, 2nd leg: 96:58 Tot, 3rd leg: 26:28 Dst: 3632 Dst, 2nd leg: 1031 Dst, 3rd leg: 285 Trp: 40.79 Avs: 10.6 Stp: 3:50:55 Max: 30.2 Yesterday Rick and I were the 2nd to last people to leave the campground, leaving Melissa alone to finish packing. We stopped in Brookings for lunch, and Melissa rode in to the grocery store while we were eating, but didn't stop to talk. We weren't quite sure whether to wait for her or just go on, and opted for the latter, which was probably a mistake, because she didn't get here last night. The ride was a pleasant change from Oregon- mostly off the main road, and through agricultural land. After Crescent City we were back on 101, in a construction zone, which wasn't so pleasant, especially in the fog, climbing a big hill, not quite sure where the campground was, hoping we hadn't passed it. Luckily we hadn't. It is actually over the top of the hill, and two miles off route, back down- meaning we have to climb out of a crater first thing tomorrow. During dinner a woman from the group in the next campsite came over to apologize for her dog who is rather antisocial, and ended up having a long discussion about home schoolers, and how we're going to save the world. She was somewhat drunk, and got annoying really quickly. By the time she left us it was nearly dark, and we started worrying about Melissa. I'm kind of mad at her because she left really late and knows she rides slow. She also strikes several of us as the kind of person who would have kept going after dark simply because she wouldn't know what else to do. She doesn't seem to have made many of her own decisions so far, just goes along with whatever everyone else says. Most of us are a little mad at her for coming on the trip at all, because she seems to rely on the rest of us to solve most of her problems, which goes against the gist of Sarabeth's original idea for the trip, which was to have a bunch of people going on their own trip, taking care of themselves, but kind of ending up in the same places at night sort of thing (which was not how some other parts turned out- we were mostly doing communal meals with a few people being separate about that). I feel a little bad now for leaving Melissa alone in the back, but I'm not sure what else we can do since she chose to be slow leaving. We were considering trying to find a ride to look for her, but decided that she needs to be smart enough to fend for herself, so we'll stick to our original agreement and call her parents this morning. I really don't want to be the one to call though. Quote: "We get the stupidity award for coming down into this hole to camp."- Sarabeth (We quickly dubbed it the Pit of Despair.) Question: How does the Border patrol at the California state line decide who to stop and search for fruits and veggies? Everyone here but Justin got waved through. (He was probably the only one of us not likely to be carrying them!) August 12th Orick, CA The Numbers: Tot, 2nd leg: 100:29 Dst, 3rd leg: 324 Yesterday we got a fairly late start because of the fog. It took a while to climb back up to the highway, and then, surprise of surprises, we got to go up some more. Finally we came to a sign that said 6% grade next two miles. However, at just that exact point, we entered pea soup fog. Exactly what the ACA maps (and Sarabeth's mother) say not to ride in. At this point we started to thank the road construction behind us, rather than curse it, because they were stopping traffic for ten to fifteen minutes at a time, so we just waited till it looked like the latest flood of traffic had passed, and went. At one point I clocked visibility at .03-.05 miles. Justin said 15 feet. For those who paid attention (apparently not me) the experience was that of the highway floating. Before entering the fog we passed Redwoods which quite literally (proved by doing so) could be touched while standing to the left of the white line! After we got down the hill and out of the fog, we called Melissa's parents. Apparently she called home from Crescent City, where she stayed, at 10 PM. I'm relived that she had the sense to stay there, but the fact that it was 10 when she called is worrying. At the Moment I'm kind of pissed off at both Sara and Melissa- Melissa for putting us in this situation, and Sara for deciding that this situation is different enough that we don't follow our agreement to have the forward group stay put if we get split up. I'm also mad at myself for just going along with that sentiment. I agree that staying in the Pit was not an option, since we were out of food, but there was a youth hostel about 16 miles down the road from there which may have had food... We stopped in Klamath, thinking to get lunch. Klamath is one of the most depressing towns I've ever seen. It's on an Indian reservation, which probably explains part of it, but the only apparent businesses in town are the post office, a motel (questionable as to whether it was really open), a bar, and a gas station. (and the Tour Through Tree. Don't forget the tour through tree.) We managed to find nourishment in the gas station- but barely. Then we rode onto the Newton B. Drury Parkway- First a big climb, followed by one of the top five best descents of the entire trip-miles and miles of coasting. We were riding among Redwoods the whole way. These things are amazing. They make one feel tiny. We stopped in one grove and walked back off the road. We had fun adding vegetation to our heads. Forest and I now have antennae or horns, and Rick a feather, all made from ferns. Orick is not quite so depressing, but we've been observing that California towns are so far kind of depressing in general. A feeling of high taxes and big government... The RV park here is just falling apart. Paying money to camp felt like we were giving it to someone who really needs it, rather than who just thinks they can charge a bundle for someone to camp. Also...I really appreciate the owners who have basically let us take over their patio as a kitchen and their yard as a bedroom, because they don't have an official tent space. Quote: "You guys be careful."- A woman walking back to her car on the parkway as we zoomed by at 15 or 20 mph. Question: Will this sunshine last? August 13th Arcata, CA We're one group again. Hooray!!! The Numbers: Dst, 2nd leg: 1111 Dst, 3rd leg: 365 Yesterday as we were packing up, Melissa finally caught up with us. Apparently three days ago when she disappeared, she was sick with the camp cold, but didn't want to ask anyone for help packing up (I think she was starting to realize that she was relying on us a lot). I'm a little annoyed at her because before I left I think I even asked her if she needed help, and she said no. She apparently made it to Crescent City, stopped at Wal-Mart to use the restroom, got lost inside the store, took a wrong turn when she left the parking lot and rode almost ten miles before she realized she'd seen this stuff before, and rode back into town and stayed at an RV park. Then she rode all day and into the night to catch up with us, and spent the night sleeping by the side of the highway when she couldn't go on, with trucks waking her up every time they passed. In the morning she stopped in Orick to call her mom, and then was wondering where to fill her water bottles, and saw the RV park with the faucets at every campsite and stopped to use one of them. At about that moment Jeff was returning from the bathroom and found her. I had been feeling queasy since breakfast, but was still the only person ready to go at that point, so I volunteered to ride with her and be slow- and man is she slow. Early in the day there were several big hills, which she climbed at about 3 mph. (Lets just stay I have trouble staying upright below 4 mph.) On the way up one I broke a spoke, so I got to give Melissa a spoke repair lesson. Getting cocky from all my previous ones I didn't let the air out of my tire. Unfortunately the new spokes I got are just a little longer, and it came through and ruptured the tube. I patched it, although I'm not sure why, since it had a unidentified slow leak to start with, and then at about 265 pump strokes I sawed the stem off... About this time the rest of the group caught up with us. For some reason Reanna decided to hang back with us rather than ride with everyone else. We stopped for lunch in Trinidad and found Justin, Jason, and Rick having already spent half an hour in the grocery store and still not knowing what to get. I pointed out good bread and that helped them along immensely. Yesterday was road construction day. We went through three separate zones!... one of them was a place Jeff says half the road had already fallen into the ocean when he did this trip two years ago, and they're just now finally getting around to fixing it! The ride from McKinlyville to Arcata was one of the most pleasant stretches of the whole trip. Part of it was on a bike trail, which turned into a farm lane for a while- literally one lane. I don't think two cars could have passed at all. Then it went over a bridge with no motorized vehicles allowed, and came out on a nice quiet country road. Not all, but some of those roads made me feel like I was in England or something. They were very narrow, and the fences were only a foot or two off the edge of the pavement. We had to get back on 101 (now a freeway) for two miles south of Arcata to get here to the KOA. Staying here at the "Komunist Kampgrounds" (our joke) has it's perks. Reanna and I went and soaked in the hot tub last night...(Ha- I've found something the KOA can't spell with a K.- If anyone can prove how you can spell "Hot Tub" with a K...) Justin and Jason made the by now mandatory ride into town for ice cream after dark. I'm starting to be somewhat annoyed by this riding after dark. Ice-cream is nice, but I don't know if the risk is worth it, especially when it's two and a half miles on the freeway. At least they're going in twos and this time they borrowed headlights and blinkers. After they returned we had a rather intense group meeting about the last couple days. I hope all the hard feelings are cleared up... Apparently the main group was riding two by two on the shoulder when a cop told them they had to go single file through his loudspeaker. There was some debate as to whether they had impressed him with their smooth transition to single file. Quote: "Pedestrians and motor driven cycles prohibited." -Sign on the on ramp to 101. No mention of pedal powered ones. (It is the official route mapped by the ACA for that stretch) August 14th Arcata, CA Yesterday we took a rest day. Rick has been saying for some time now that he was going to make pizza in his wok before the trip is over, and he did it last night. Actually it was more like calzones- sort of pizza-pockets, but he made the dough from scratch and the wok actually makes a fairly good oven, although it took several hours before they all got cooked, so we ended up making pasta too. Quote: "Put me in a room with at least three other people, and if I'm totally honest and share my personal feelings I'm guaranteed to piss someone off."- Justin, in a discussion about how the guy/ girl ratio affects the kind of discussions we have August 15th Arcata, CA The Numbers after two days of riding around town: Tot: 350:10 Yesterday we took another layover day. We went into town and hung out at farmer's market for several hours. In the evening we went to see Shakespeare in the Park. The show was The Taming of the Shrew. It was great, but we needed to think a little before we decided to do that. Riding back in the dark, with only one headlight for seven of us, was definitely the stupidest thing I've done in quite a while. While we were in town a cop saw us and told us we couldn't ride without lights, so most of us walked to the on ramp. He was trailing us for a ways, and I'm just really glad he didn't see us get on the freeway. I was super jumpy from adrenaline for quite a while after we got back. Question: Are all California cops as grumpy as the ones around here? August 16th Humbolt Redwoods State Park, Weott, CA The Numbers: Tot, 3rd leg: 42:08 Dst, 3rd leg: 446 Trp: 59.48 Avs: 11.42 Stp: 5:112:35 Max: 40.9 Yesterday I spent the morning riding alone. I took the route which my maps show as an alternate, and Justin's show as the main route, only to find a detour in the middle of it. It wasn't a well signed one either, so I just got back on 101 to the next exit...The roads were nice and flat until I hit the big hills before Rio Dell-a dusty depressed looking town. About a mile further down the road was Scotia, a company town for the Pacific Lumber Co., which was nice and clean by comparison. I stopped there for lunch and bumped into Jason on the way out of town. We rode together for the rest of the day. We entered the Avenue of the Giants today. I think it took as long to ride the last 15 miles as it did to ride the first 45 today, what with stopping to gawk, visit the Eternal Treehouse, hike, eat blackberries, etc. The Eternal Treehouse is a twenty foot room in the stump of a huge tree. The tree was cut down many years ago, but sprouted several new shoots. When we got to the hiker biker campground we found a note from Forest saying to go another mile down the road to a normal campground with showers. Apparently we were the only ones to see the note, because when no one showed up here Jason rode back and everyone else was there. Rick and Justin stopped to say hi on there way to the next town down the road for food. Reanna and Melissa were supposedly going to move down here, but never showed up Here at the Burlington campground there is a slightly creepy line about eight feet up on all the trees. Our guess is it's the flood line from a food in 1964, although that seems like a long time for such a thing to last. Quote: "Next time ask for phone #'s so we can pick up guys."- Entry in the guest book at the Eternal Tree House. August 17th Standish-Hickey State Park, Leggett, CA This group is too #@!* big! We're still split up. When the rest of the group didn't show up by 11 O'clock yesterday, Jason decided to go see what was up while Forest and I rode on ahead. The theory was that he would catch up and tell us what the rest of the group was doing. Didn't happen Melissa(!) was the only person who caught up with us- at 8:30 last night here in the campground. That was about the last possible minute for her to show up and still have light to ride by- It was pitch black under the trees, but she said she could still see on the highway. Her making it here was a big surprise, since there was a stiff headwind and several killer hills, and she hadn't left by 11. At one point Forest and I stopped and spent at least half an hour picking blackberries. I'm amazed at how many blackberries there are considering the number of tourists around. You often don't even have to wade into the patch to get really good ones. The ACA route's side roads once avoided a large hill, but the next one just made them worse- steeper, higher, and lower. The worst hill though was unavoidable- 101 perched halfway up the side of a canyon and climbing. By the time we got here we both had bonked. Apparently Sara, Jeff, and April (unhappily) decided to have a short day and stay in Benbow. We're assuming the rest of the group decided to stay there as well... Apparently Justin and Jason are discussing leaving the rest of the group and going on ahead to get to SF sooner. Quotes: "I wonder how young that tree is."- Forest "That may be the slow way to go, but at least you don't have to pay two bucks a gallon."- Old guy at a gas station. "Jesus Loves You."- Hippie looking person as we rode by their house. August 18th Standish- Hickey State Park, CA Yesterday ended up being a layover day for Forest, Melissa, and I. We hung around for a while trying to decide what to do, and then I called Reanna's parents to see if they knew where the rest of the group was. Doug didn't remember, but she had called home. Then we were sitting around trying to decide what to do with our day, life, etc. when Melissa went to the bathroom, and we started hearing hilarious laughter from there. Finally she came out and introduced us to Katie, who was camping with her parents in the site next door. She's 16, and one of the coolest schooler, non-Quakers I know. She really ought to be a homeschooler, but she says she likes school, mostly because she likes to piss off the teachers. Rick arrived at the same time as Forest got back from town with groceries. Then I went for a walk. I'm not sure why I hiked half a mile down a bluff to a nice swimming area without my swim suit, but I did. I chose not to get wet because I need my long pants dry for when the mosquitoes come out. This is the first place on the entire trip where they've really bothered me! Reanna and April arrived as I got back from my walk. Justin and Jason had gotten here shortly after Rick, and then left to keep moving, as they want to get there sooner. However they came back about an hour after they left- apparently they'd gone across the road looking for food, and then came back for water. We talked them into staying the night, rather than getting to the next place to stay at 10 at night, so we were all together one last time. Last night most of us had a "Cuddle Puddle"/ massage session till about 12:30. Forest and I retired to our tents at that point, and Sara and Jeff had retired hours earlier, but everyone else stayed out- They hadn't put up their tents in the first place. Quote; "You know what's weird, is that you've got a white aura."- Katie to me. Question: Why, all of a sudden, did we start being weird in public again yesterday? August 19th MacKerricher State Park, Cleone, CA The Numbers: Tot, 3rd leg: 51:16 Dst, 3rd leg: 545 Yesterday I was the last person to leave, and I still beat six out of nine to the top of Leggett Hill (partly 'cuz I didn't stop for groceries). I was very surprised not to find Justin and Jason sprawled on the ground at the top... Forest beat us all here by several hours, as usual. He and I ride about the same speed, but I think he just doesn't stop, which is a mixed bag. I like to stop and enjoy the scenery, but I would also like to have time to play on the beach at the end of the day. Leggett Hill was by far the best hill since Washington Pass. A long steep climb to about 2000 feet (If I recall correctly), followed by an 11 mile descent on mostly steep, winding road. Then there was another 1000 foot climb over a headland, which was much harder than the previous climb...I've been thinking how weird it is that in one day I go over a hill higher than the highest one in Wisconsin, and end up close to sea level. Now that we're back out on the coast, we have differing opinions on how much fun riding is. Sara hates this road, after Jeff fell and nearly got hit, while I, on the other hand, love all the ups and downs and ins and outs. It does wear me out though. After we got here Rick and I rode four miles further on unloaded bikes to get groceries. Quote: "Is it warmer on the other side?"- a passing northbound cyclist. August 20th Manchester Beach State Park, Manchester, CA Justin and Jason leaving made a big difference in how long it takes to get moving in the morning... The ride was amazing. First off, coming over the bridge out of Fort Bragg we encountered a fog band. It was only over the river, but it was rather thick fog. Reanna and I walked our bikes and stopped in the middle to admire a fog-bow, and notice that the bridge had a shadow even through the fog. The California coast beats the Oregon coast for amazingness hands down in my opinion. We're constantly going up and down, usually within sight of the water, if not the cliffs and stuff. Usually the road is about 150 feet above the water (my guess), but every few miles it turns inland, goes down to sea-levelish, crosses a stream, and climbs back, usually with a very steep grade. Yesterday we encountered whet Jeff says is the steepest climb on the whole coast. It goes around about two switch backs, and if the traffic doesn't agree with you the second is impossible to ride around- the grade on the very inside of the curve has to be about 30%! Thanks to a tail wind Reanna and I got here by 4:30. That was nice, but she says her knee is in tough shape, and probably needs a layover day. We stopped in the town of Elk for ice cream and ran into the people we've been camped with since the KOA having a musical jam session - harmonica, tambourine, beer bottle and nose flute. Reanna and I went to the beach after we got here and stood in the ocean. My feet went numb after about one minute, but we continued to stand there, and even waded out to the point where our shorts got wet, in lieu of ice for Reanna's knees. April came and joined us and waded out to the point where a wave knocked her down and washed her back onto the beach. I was already Brother Tension at that point, so I was quite happy that she was ready to go after that. After Sara had said several times that she was going to bed, we all sat up singing for another hour. That was one of the best evenings we've had yet. I think Justin and Jason have taken away a sort of different energy that kept us from fully bonding as a group. Quote: "Subvert Eel Scrabes Scrape Robot Asparagus."- Elk picnic area outhouse graffiti. August 21st Fort Ross State Historic Park, Fort Ross, CA Oh my God- This trip is almost over. The Numbers: Max: 45.4 Yesterday was a bad day for bikes. Every one's seem to be falling apart. After a second breakfast by the side of the road with Forest and Rick, I was surprised to see Reanna and April only about three miles further on, since they had passed us some time before. A little later I was passing them on a hill, and Reanna asked me to stop at the next opportunity. It turned out that April's chain had hopped off, and when they tried to put it back, they found a link in it that was twisted almost 90 degrees. They replaced that, but it had also bent her derailleur into her spokes, and they hadn't gotten it bent back far enough. We found some of the best peaches I've ever eaten... Rick stopped to repack his bike because the load was shifting around. It turned out that his bike was a Transformer- it had turned itself into a dump truck! All that was keeping his "dump bed" from dumping the whole load on the road, was a couple of bungees- luckily he had hooked them to the bike rather than the rack. Both the screws at the top/front of his rack had come out. I "screwed up his dump truck" for him and we continued. We got to the place where we had planned to camp, and found that there was no longer a campground there- we had to ride a mile and a half further to the main campgrounds. About half a mile down, on the way up a big hill, Rick broke three spokes. Lesson- letting an out of true wheel go too long can be disastrous. Two of them had broken at the outer end (they usually break at the hub) and were right next to each other, eliminating the possibility of using Justin's trick. I turned out that Rick actually has a cassette hub rather than a freewheel as we had assumed, so we didn't have the tools to fix it, and we ended up walking the last mile into the campground. Luckily Forest also has a cassette hub, and had one of the tools needed, and we managed to improvise a chain whip out of several people's spare chain links, a chain tool, and a big crescent wrench (which luckily Forest and I both had one of). Rick now knows how to true wheels, and can ride with us tomorrow. Sara and Jeff apparently stayed at Salt Point State Park, so April was getting anxious as the evening progressed. As we were about to go to bed a guy named Jared kind of just walked into our site, and asked for a light. He stayed and talked for several hours. He's a punk, vegan, home schooled through elementary, social activist, BMX riding body piercer... and told us all about his adventures trashing an exotic meat warehouse in Seattle, riding his BMX bike from the Seattle area to the California border... He is currently walking around on a broken ankle because he doesn't believe in doctors. Quote: "You shouldn't be riding on this road. It's too narrow. But I suppose you've already figured that out.- Road crew worker. Question: Why did we choose this mini "Pit" to camp in? Sara and Jeff just rode in!!! August 24th Records' home, Petaluma, CA The Numbers: Dst: 4038 Lets see if I can encapsulate the last three days here. We got all exited when Sara and Jeff got there, but things quickly went down hill. There had been a misunderstanding about where we were staying, and Sara had spent the night worrying, and even called the highway patrol to see if there had been an accident or something. She and April were kind of pissed off at each other. Reanna and I in particular, as well as everyone else, were uncomfortable and mad about the whole thing. The ride was beautiful, but hard, and stressful with all the pissed-offness going on in my brain. The day started with a big climb, and then a downhill that sucked because an RV got in my way. I actually had to use my brakes to keep from rear ending the thing! After another big climb we had one of the most exciting descents yet- about four switchbacks. I couldn't get going very fast on that one either because I was behind Reanna and the Wokmobile. On yet another big hill I stopped to look at a windmill. It's not often you get to be at eye level with a fully assembled mill, while standing on solid ground. It was probably less than 100 feet off the highway! We hung out in Bodega Bay for a while trying to decide whether to wait for Sara, April and Jeff, who we knew would probably stay there and try to mend their differences, but we decided to go on. The last part of the ride was fun and easy, but much hotter as we got away from the coast. The next day Sara, Jeff and April arrived fairly early in the day, with new tye-dyed t- shirts. Apparently April did 90 degrees on a dime and wiped out with the words "Tye Dye!!!" After they bought her a new shirt, she became much happier. We put Rick on the bus back to Corvallis for a party. Our group is starting to splinter even more. Yesterday was a lazy day. We played Frisbee and drew shadow pictures on the street with sidewalk chalk... I wish I had the money to continue south from SF with Reanna, but...The exciting news is that her mother is going to come ride with her! August 24th Marin Headlands Hostel, Sausalito, CA Reanna, Forest, Melissa, and I left Records' about 11 AM. First stop was Melissa's house to get her lock, and a bag of peaches. We rode out through more brown, dry dairy farms. I'm starting to miss green grass. On the way up one of the biggest hills of the day, we stopped and demolished the peaches. They were very ripe, some even slightly fermented. The second half of the day was mostly city riding. OK, but stressful because of keeping track of all the turns. Also we were following a route suggested by a local cyclist, which didn't quite match the mapped route, so we had to figure out where to go in those places. We got to Sausalito at about 6 and stopped for groceries.We left town and climbed a big hill and entered the fog. Riding in it was probably stupid, but there were dozens of other cyclists out in it, and we basically had to get here. The fog was really thick and we had about three miles of it- partly through a tunnel. Luckily the fog didn't penetrate very far into the half mile, uphill, one lane tunnel... We got here about 8 PM and by the time we got checked in it was thoroughly dark. Quote: "On tour. San Francisco or Bust" - Passing cyclists. Question: Can we find a place to stay in the city tomorrow? August 26th San Francisco, CA WOO HOO!!! WE MADE IT!!! The Numbers: Tot: 383:33 Tot, 2nd leg: 140;48 Tot, 3rd leg: 70:18 Dst: 4094 Dst, 2nd leg: 1493 Dst, 3rd leg: 747 Trp: 8.42 Avs: 9.55 Stp: 0:58:25 Max: 24.3 We were actually out of the hostel by 9. We sat outside and ate breakfast and talked to other cyclists. Then things turned temporarily sour. I discovered that I had a flat tire. As usual when I was almost done pumping up the tire- pssst. I cut the stem. Even so we left by shortly after 10, by which time the fog had started to lift. The tunnel was a lot more fun downhill. We stopped at the view point at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge and got a tourist to snap the obligatory photo for us, then rode across. It was just over a mile, foggy with lots of pedestrians, but we had fun anyway. We got off the bridge, rode through the Presidio and onto Lombard Street (not the steep windy part) where we started looking for a motel. We checked half a dozen or so and came back to the Economy Inn. Nothing is super cheap, but here it's under $30 each per night for the four of us to share a room. We spent the afternoon at the Exploratorium. I think the main thing that set it apart from the other science museums I've been to is the Explainers- people who's job it is just to go around answering questions and giving demonstrations, and who are good at that job. We watched a Cow's eye dissection. That was cool (and slightly gross). Actually the best "exhibit" of the day was lock cracking. I went and bought a resettable combination cable lock to replace the U-lock I apparently left at NBTSC. While we were sitting on the grass outside the museum eating lunch I accidentally reset the combination and locked the lock without noticing what I'd set it too. Luckily it was 0148, so I didn't have go through nearly all of them. For dinner we went to the Lhasa Moon, Tibetan restaurant. We thought the prices were reasonable, but it turned out that the portions were tiny. Quote: "It's a Lady."- Motel Manager when he came to tell us Jason was calling while Reanna was on the phone in the room. Question: Am I alive? (At the Exploratorium there was a machine which was supposed to show your heart beat on a screen when you held the handles, but I didn't register.) August 26th San Francisco, CA Today we went and rode up one of the famous San Francisco hills- about a 40% grade (I swear) four blocks up to take my stuff to a Mail Boxes Etc. to ship it home. I had about half my load- the stuff I didn't want for the next month of busses and visiting- and everyone else had unloaded bikes. Forest and I were the only ones who made it all the way- with a stop at every block for breath. Then I left my bike at a bike shop and paid them to pack it up and ship it home for me. Then we went and had lunch by the Yacht harbor. There was a cool breeze, but the sun was shining and the view of the Alcatraz and the bridge was nice. On the way up there, we were walking/ riding through a residential neighborhood and a woman drove up and asked Forest and I to help her carry a Lazy Boy recliner up a flight of stairs. We did, and she tipped us $7 (for about 3 minutes work!). This evening Jason and his dad took us out to eat at the Empress of China Restaurant in Chinatown. We walked in in our Bike tourist clothing, and they served us, despite photos of George Bush, Mick Jagger, and other celebrities who've eaten there... Quote: "You will get a salary increase."- Fortune Cookie. (Duh.) August 27th I arose at 5:30 in the morning, and somehow managed to say my good-byes and be out the door in 15 minutes! I navigated the SF city busses in the early morning half light to the Greyhound station, where I boarded a bus to Fresno, CA, to visit my great aunt, departing within 15 minutes of exactly four months after I left home... The Numbers for the group trip: Days: 56 Riding Days: 34 Tot: 140:48 Dst: 1493 Avg/ day: 26.66 Avg/ day w/o rest days: 43.91 Avg/ hr: 10.6 Avg/hrs/ day: 2:31 Avg/ hrs/ day w/o rest days: 4:08 Max: 45.4 Longest day- miles: 67.18 (Aug. 6th) Longest day- time: 6:07:54 (Aug. 6th) The Numbers for the entire trip: Days: 121 Riding Days: 76 Tot 383:33 Dst: 4049 Avg/ day: 33.46 Avg/ day w/o rest days: 53.28 Avg/ hr: 10.56 Avg/ hrs/ day: 3:10 Avg/ hrs day w/o rest days: 5:03 Max: 45.4 Longest day- miles: 89.24 (May 13th) Longest day- time: 8:48:39 (May 19th)